1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Age ratings of videos...?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by msloops, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Hello,

Just wondering - do you think it's okay to show clips from a film or TV series that is rated 15 or 18 to younger pupils?

I'm an English teacher teaching Julius Caesar to a year 8 group next term and I found a pretty good clip of the murder of Julius Caesar from the TV series 'Rome' on Youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGDXp24uWo&feature=player_embedded

The series is rated 18, it apparently has lots of bad language and sex in it (not in the bit I'd like to show). The clip does however show Caesar being stabbed to death in quite a horrid bloody manner... Do I have to steer clear of showing this to my year 8s?

2. Takeaway-Resources

Takeaway-Resources New commenter

I dont think I would just in case

3. Don't know about the rules in secondary but in our school we would need permission to show anything that isn't U.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ask your HOD what the policy is. Your school may have got permission from parents to show clips that are educationally meaningful and in your professional judgement suitable. If they have, you are fine. If not you could end your career!

A very violent and gory murder scene, however historically accurate, would not come into my definition of suitable for year 8 though. Sorry.

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I'd show it to the HoD first - you'd be more likely to get away, for example, with a DVD of the actual play rather than something that's less clearly related.

My department is fairly relaxed - for example, the Polanski Macbeth (15?) is routinely showed to Year 9s. I tend to think about the quietest and most 'sheltered' student in the class, and whether s/he would be comfortable watching it. I tend to be more conservative about sex, as opposed to violence - Duncan's murder here is nothing particularly shocking, but we have Lady Macbeth sleepwalking naked, a rape scene when Macduff's castle is invaded, and so this sort of thing is something where I tend to play it safe and show something different instead.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

That clip is not, in my opinion, suitable or appropriate for Year 8.

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Furthermore, I agree with the sentiments of minnie. I don't see the clip as particularly educationally meaningful or suitable.