1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Age gaps in relationships?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Jan 15, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hot topic at the moment with Caroline Flack and her 15 years younger toyboy! What's the biggest age gap you'd be happy with? This includes younger / older!

2. I am 12 years older than my dear wife .

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Does age matter?

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As long as the youngest person is above legal age,I don't think there is a right or wrong. It depends on what the two people are like and what their relationship is like more than what is obvious for all to see (IE,the age gap).

5. I am three years older than my boyfriend of over a year and I think I have more of an issue with it than he does sometimes :s

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

10 years older, but no more than 5 years younger, I am 26. My grandparents had 10 years and were happily married for 40 years.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I bring this up because I have accidentally met a 20 year old and I am 26, almost 27 and can't decide if there would be a huge difference in maturity... as I have never been the older one in the party before!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Is that question addressed to both women and men? If it is, then prepare to be shocked!
    Actually, I sometimes have a furtive smirk at the sight of 60ish men with their much younger second wives. The wives look so much younger and fitter, and the men often look so decrepid...
    No, I'm not a rejected first wife.
    Yes, true love finds a way, and I don't want to insult all the people who have May-December relationships.

9. I don't think that just because someone is older means that they are more mature!!

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If you like one another and get on,why should it matter?

11. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well this is what i've been thinking... I'm just unsure because as I said, i've never done it before and wouldn't know what to expect, I know he goes out partying a lot... which I don't do quite so much these days! lol.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

There were eight years between my parents. Nothing at all in the context of a lifetime.

I once had a boyfriend who, at 21, hooked up with a woman 18 years his senior. She had three children. She insisted that he have a vasectomy and the stupid bngger did as he was told.

13. mine used to party a lot but once westarted getting a lot more serious he stoppped doing it so often. I recently asked him if he missed it and he said that he didn't because he has moved onto a different stage of his life.
    If you like him then give it a go. What is the worst that could happen!

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My husband's cousin was 19 when he married a 37 year old. They are still together over 30 years later!!
    She looks like his mother, though...

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly.

16. There was just over a year gap between myself and my ex-husband. My new partner is seven years younger than me. Woo-hoo! I am no longer with someone who is middle aged.

But seriously, age is how you feel, nothing more.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Accidentally? That was very careless of you ;-)

Our youngest daughter (aged 20) is currently with a 27 year old bloke who has now taken up permanent residence in our home while she's away at Uni, so no problem here with either the age difference or the person. Do what thou wilt.

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It needn't make any difference but sometimes it does mean that you hit life stages at different times, for instance, wanting to have children, and this can cause a bit of grief. There was 6 years between me and my children's father and when I was only 25 and wanting to travel a bit, he was all 'been there, done that' about it. I went anyway, with somebody else but he had to put up with it.

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

surely if you want and care for each other age is imaterial......till you reach 65 as aman and realise your only chance would be with an older woman as ones your age want younger men with a bit of bedroom action and life LOL
    Says one who hates heading towards the fuffy slipper stage !

20. Biggest age gap with me being senior was a year (I was 16, she was 15), me being junior was 10 years (I was 22, he was 32). I've dated more people who are older than me than I have younger but can't say it's ever been an issue for me (besides the bit where I freaked out when I was dating someone 2 weeks younger over my birthday- but I think that was more because I was looking for any excuse to bail).