1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Age Filters

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by kghaye, Jan 14, 2019.

1. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

I am wondering what the value of the 'Age' filter is on resources if no one checks them? Are we, as authors, meant to report this as a problem?
    My resources are listed as 'Citizenship' ones, specifically aimed at 5 - 7 year olds. When I applied this age filter to search for similar resources, I was astounded at the number of inappropriate ones - Page 1 having 11/21, Page 2 a whopping 18/21, and Page 3 having 12/21! That's 65%! Many were aimed at Key Stage 3 and 4 but the authors had blanket ticked all age categories :-(
    What is the point? As a new author I am not that visible anyway and so my resources are hard to find amongst the 5545 supposedly in this category. To rub salt into the wound, many inappropriate resources were also produced by commercial companies!

2. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

It is annoying when people post resoures and tag the wrong things. I can only tell you what TES told me, if a resource is over tagged report it but they can only advise the author to reduce the tags and can not enforce it. Grrrrr.

I also heard that if something is over tagged it may harm it in the search results but have not tested that out myself. I do know that it will not get recommended by TES if over tagged (i.e. TES Picks or in newsletters) but not sure how much is getting recommended these days anyway and when they do it doesn't make any difference to the popularity of the resource. I do know if it is over tagged the chances of people purchasing it is reduced as they don't think it is relevant but it still clutters up the site and makes it difficult for honest authors.

I do think TES should penalise resources that are constantly over tagging by reducing them in the page rankings but it is difficult to set up an automatic system that allows this to happen.

a51_ufo likes this.
  3. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this one. I guess the bottom line is that the TES want sales and, however they are generated, so be it.
    Such a shame that those who are in the teaching profession do not have the integrity to tag honestly. Even more ironic that these resources are in PSHE!
    Oh well, here's to TES filtering out the filter cheats at some point in the future!
    I will take up your suggestion and report as a problem anyway.

nwilkin likes this.
  4. nwilkin

nwilkin New commenter

We find this a lot in computing too as authors tag our subject as a resource includes a PowerPoint presentation or the students need to search the internet. Never mind it has nothing to do with computer science. Grrrrr.

5. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I don't really see the point of over tagging the age ranges. Surely, if someone uses these filters they will overlook the ones that aren't suitable anyway! If I noticed someone had tagged it incorrectly, I wouldn't buy it as I would assume the author was an idiot and didn't know enough about their subject! :)