1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Age appropriate resources

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by ecossaise, May 30, 2011.

1. ecossaise

ecossaise New commenter

I would like to write a paper on this and open the debate among SEN practitioners. Should teenagers use "childish" resources or is this not appropriate? What are your thoughts? How do you teach? all contributions very gratefully received!

2. I agree with letmeteach. I work in a residential special school with SLD and PMLD 16 to 19 year olds and a lot of the students I work with are functioning developmentally at the same level as an 18 month/2 year old. Therefore they often choose toys like rattles or rainmakers and choose to watch videos like Postman Pat or Thomas the Tank Engine. The guidance we are given is that, if they choose it themselves (eg, they actually select the video case, come up to you and hand it to you), then we put it on for them but we can't select a channel like CBeebies for them. If one of our boys has the remote control and chooses CBeebies, that's his choice but we have to offer them a chronological age appropriate option. As for the bandana bibs, there is a student at my workplace who wears them and they do look a lot more age appropriate. I agree with Auntie Lil about using age appropriate resources with teenagers whose delay is mainly academic rather than cognitive.