1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Agatha Raisin reading order...

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Bethannie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I picked up a couple of Agatha Raisin titles in the Kindle sales a few months ago.
    With the miserable weather over the last few days I felt in need of something 'light' to read, and so went for 'The Quiche of Death' - as it said it was the first in the series!
    Okay, so the writing isn't the most taut, and there are plot holes you could drive a bus through, and some of the characters struggle to even reach one-dimension....but it was fun!I know the Cotswolds reasonably well, and enjoyed a chuckle at some of the descriptions.
    So, the other Agatha Raisin title I have on my Kindle is 'Wellspring of Death'. I know this isn't the second in the series...so is there anything to be gained by reading them in series? If I read Poirot, it makes little difference the order you read them (apart from the odd reference to a past crime that has little bearing on the current case...or Hastings being absent briefly after his marriage....) ...is the the same with Agatha Raisin? How strictly should I adhere to the reading order?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I picked up a couple of Agatha Raisin titles in the Kindle sales a few months ago.
    With the miserable weather over the last few days I felt in need of something 'light' to read, and so went for 'The Quiche of Death' - as it said it was the first in the series!
    Okay, so the writing isn't the most taut, and there are plot holes you could drive a bus through, and some of the characters struggle to even reach one-dimension....but it was fun!I know the Cotswolds reasonably well, and enjoyed a chuckle at some of the descriptions.
    So, the other Agatha Raisin title I have on my Kindle is 'Wellspring of Death'. I know this isn't the second in the series...so is there anything to be gained by reading them in series? If I read Poirot, it makes little difference the order you read them (apart from the odd reference to a past crime that has little bearing on the current case...or Hastings being absent briefly after his marriage....) ...is the the same with Agatha Raisin? How strictly should I adhere to the reading order?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Each story makes sense in itself so you will get the plot of course but there is a back story which unfolds throughout the series. TBH she does usually do a quick summary but I do think it's nicer to read them all in order.

I know all the faults you mention but I do love Agatha Raisin - I have got them all and really look forward to a new one coming out. She's so feisty but so needy.

5. I got a few during the 12 Days of Kindle promotion and I have to say that whilst they may not be great literature, they are fun to read.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I enjoy a light read, but I've only managed one Agatha Raisin. I struggled through to the end, because I wanted to find out whodunnit, but the characterisation and writing were so poor, that I couldn't bear to try another one.
    I did catch an adaptation on Radio 4 extra, a while ago. Still very silly and full of stereotypes, but I don't mind that in a radio programme that's just on in the background to make washing up slightly less boring. I think Penelope Keith was Agatha Raisin.