1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Afterschool club

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by sdent56, Jan 12, 2018.

1. sdent56

sdent56 New commenter

Hi I am starting an after school Design technology club, I am looking for some ideas on small projects we could make and any ideas that you have used that have been really successful.

Thanks in advance!!

2. M_Brown

M_Brown New commenter

Hi, Great idea!
    This is my first post - You have a world of choice! Great club ideas depend on a few things,starting with a someone who wants to give the students a great DT experience, so far so good! Consider your resources; time; recurrence; age range invited; if you have or can request funding / donations for consumables.
    There are some team tasks which can be a lot of fun and promote collaboration, like building structures (limited time or resources) or firing things or dropping things from height to see if they break/don't break etc. Transporting things from a-b (using size, time, resources as limiting or creativity promoting constraints.
    Depending on prep time and resources, you could consolidate/develop CAD/CAM skills, with either a laser cut LED flickering tealight holder, slot together micro/mini-photo frame, pocket puzzles, confectionery based coasters, or seasonal mini-decorations (link to RE, promoting diversity)
    Some items could be created as a link to a mini-enterprise event, depending on numbers you could have teams develop small products to batch produce to donate for student nominated charities to fundraise with.
    Practical STEM investigations can be a lot of fun, and link with Scientific and mathematics concepts that students may be familiar with - I happened to do a cover the other day for y7 science, and it was great to talk with students about dependent and independent variables - depending on your location, you could see if a STEM ambassador ( see www.stem.org.uk for further info and to make a regional request for an ambassador visit.
    With a supportive governor, parent, or STEM ambassador, you might visit a local company and they might give you some resources, link with your department and maybe even give your club a design brief to create some small products for them. Good luck, hopefully this gives you some choices, and helps!
    Images - heat transfer badges (based on American candy) Wind turbine generator (based on Engineers Without Borders' Power for Everyone, Everywhere resource (https://www.ewb-uk.org/our-initiati...each-programme/power-for-everyone-everywhere/ ) Building a water purifier in case of a Zombie Apocalypse (with STEM ambassadors using Tomorrow's Engineers resources.)
    IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0383.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0383.JPG IMG_0928.JPG

3. fundisi

fundisi New commenter

Went on the STEM course and came back with a VEX IQ Robotics kit - so that's one club.
    Formula 3D Racing - esp. good if you can get some donated Scalextric kit.
    Fusion 360 is free for schools to download so that supports loads of design and virtual build projects.
    My latest area of investigation is Ant Weight Robot Wars - starting with canabalised old radio controlled cars etc for motors, controllers, RC gear, axle, wheels etc.
    Build a better mousetrap my friend!

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

5. armandine2

6. armandine2