1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Afternoon Break Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Anon_E_Mouse, Nov 9, 2011.

1. for YR and all of KS1- come in from lunch at 1pm
    Break at 2:30- nominally for ten minutes (but can be more like 15 or 20 depending who's on duty!)
    Home time at 3:15 so normally settle and story afterwards rather than an actual lesson. I do find it cuts down what I can do in the afternoon though, especially once you take out PE, ICT and PPA time

HTH

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We come in from lunch at 1.15 then have a 15 min break at 2.15. It can be a pain, because it does not give quite as much time after break to get a full lesson in, so we end up with a rushed 20 mins of music or RE.

3. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

I teach in a junior school and we have an afternoon break for the whole school - 15 mins each day at 2.15. I don't know how infants could cope without a break, as our children couldn't!

4. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Would keep the break but not 20 minutes - which invariably is 25 by the time coats etc are hung up. More like a quick 10 minutes.

5. cally1980

It's amazing what children can cope with when the option isnt there!

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I fail to see why teachers are in such a rush to take away playtime. These children are still very young and need physical exercise and fresh air. Why should they have to cope. Soon enough they will be trapped in with minimal breaks, desperate for the weekend and freedom. In many other countries the children have afternoon breaks until they are older.

7. cally1980

Lol, calm down no one has mentioned taking afternoon play away! I was responding to a previous poster saying that the juniors in her school could not cope without an afternoon play. Since Juniors all over the country manage without the afternoon break I think it is fair to say they WOULD cope were a break not an option.

8. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I asked what others did - as I feel 20 minutes is raher long to come out of a very tight timetable. Do not want to get rid of totally.

9. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

We have a scheduled 20 minute break for KS1, with the option of afternoon 'comfort break' (toilet and drinks stop with maybe a few minutes to run around outside) for all KS2 classes at the teachers' discretion.
    However... very, very occasionally, on those special summer days when we're out all on the field, and the children aren't falling out, fighting or telling tales, and the sun is shining, and the SMT aren't on site to know, sometimes the afternoon break is allowed to run on a little... and then a little more.... until the sight of the first few parents gathering at the gate at about five past three means that the whistle is regretfully blown and we all troop inside in time to clear up and go home...