1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Afternoon activities needed!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kathbransby, May 4, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I run a sessional pre-school which has been mornings only until recently. Since Easter we have been offering a full day, and I need to change the kinds of activities we have on offer. My mornings are all based around non-directive open-ended resources, social play, lots of obs by the staff, but all within a very firm structure. We make the children work hard! They have to be creative, social, communicative, imaginative etc.
    I'm finding that they need the option of different kinds of activities in the afternoons when they are very tired. They want to sit somewhere and do something alone, simple, repetitive; something where they don't have to work hard at sharing and communicating. However, I don't want to offer pointless holding activities.
    So far the most successful activity has been peg boards with coloured plastic pegs. Groups of children sat for 30 minutes at a time with a dish of pegs and a board just filling the holes and making different patterns.
    Anyone have any other ideas?!
    Thanks,
    K

2. Hi,
    I run a sessional pre-school which has been mornings only until recently. Since Easter we have been offering a full day, and I need to change the kinds of activities we have on offer. My mornings are all based around non-directive open-ended resources, social play, lots of obs by the staff, but all within a very firm structure. We make the children work hard! They have to be creative, social, communicative, imaginative etc.
    I'm finding that they need the option of different kinds of activities in the afternoons when they are very tired. They want to sit somewhere and do something alone, simple, repetitive; something where they don't have to work hard at sharing and communicating. However, I don't want to offer pointless holding activities.
    So far the most successful activity has been peg boards with coloured plastic pegs. Groups of children sat for 30 minutes at a time with a dish of pegs and a board just filling the holes and making different patterns.
    Anyone have any other ideas?!
    Thanks,
    K