1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After school primary drama club

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by wattsy2369, Jul 1, 2019.

1. wattsy2369

wattsy2369 New commenter

I have recently started my first teaching job and have been asked to run an after school drama club. what advice, tips, etc can anyone provide?

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

There are a variety of books out there if you need some help with ideas. I think the one below is the one I have used:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Ideas-Drama-Plus/dp/0435187996

I have found that lots of warm up games go down well and the children enjoy playing them.
    Mime - miming a variety of tasks - can be done to music.
    Group work with a very specific task - I once showed them a Charlie Chaplin silent movie clip - short and humorous- and they had to work out a humorous mime to a piece of 1920s music.
    Improvisation - give them a scenario - in pairs can they improvise the conversation for 1 minute?

If you notice a child/pair/group doing really good work they will usually be happy to show what they were doing to the rest of the group. This can inspire everyone else in creative activities.

Just some ideas!

wattsy2369 likes this.
  3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Google JOSIE'S POEMS where you'll find the 1,400 poems I've written and which are freely available to children. There are voice recordings with them. Give them a poetry performance competition and get the children reciting the poems with good expression in their voices, and with body language too, and teach them how to throw their voices clearly across the staffroom. When I make school/skype visits, I'm often horrified at the performances I see. I'd love to skype in and see the winner's performance.

4. anon8836

anon8836 New commenter

Josie, I've been to your website. The poems are truly amazing and I'll be using them definitely next term. Thanks a million for all this work you did for us all. Fantastic.

5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Thank you so much. There are many shorter poems for younger children and perhaps your children may like to learn one or two off by heart and on their own, or with others, learn how to perform them well, with expression in their voices. I hope you enjoy them. As I said, I'd love to skype and see the winning performances - or help you in any way I can.