1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After school obligations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Jenkibubble, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

Hi. How many hours can a HT insist on staff attending after school activities?
    Are there guidelines / maximums ?

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you in a school that follows STPCD?

Is it part of your 1265 hrs and planned?

Best wishes

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

In my experience it depends on your subject. When I taught Drama full time then there was the expectation that there would be rehearsals etc. most nights in addition to the meetings but now I'm in English there's expectation for Year 11 catch up and revision. I've never actually added my hours up (too scared to I think!?!) but I've probably always worked more than the 1265. That being said, although there's been the expectation, I've never actually been told I've got to do extra. Expectation breeds it though.

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

We have a weekly staff meeting (at least 1 1/2 hours), weekly 'phase' meeting ( another hour) and are expected to hold planning meetings as well! Surely this can't be right?! I'm on long term supply so can't really rock the boat and the staff are too apathetic to call on union support. Any advice?

5. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

It's a LA primary school ( not academy)
    I assume they follow STPCD , but not sure.
    The weekly staff meeting I understand, but it's open evenings for parents and seasonal events which are on top, which ultimately cut into prep /marking time !

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So there should be a published hours budget showing where you spend your 1265 hours.

Here is a document written for Heads which explains about Directed Time budgets.

Best wishes

Attached Files: