1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After school ICT club for SEN

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by AlexanderSvarc, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I'm an ICT Tech in a secondary school and want to start an after school club, not only is it something I want to do personally I am also doing my degree part time with the long term goal of becoming an ICT teacher and it being a string to my bow for the future. A friend of mine who works as a TA at the same school is willing to work with me on it as he is also following the same path as me currently. We're going to sit down and throw some ideas around next week for the club but as it is going to be geared to special educational needs is there anything in particular the kids could benefit from doing, different ways of learning from that of mainstream ICT lessons/clubs that you can think of?

I am keen for this to be a success as my manager in the support dept isn't keen on me doing it, although she allows my colleague to run a performing arts tech club so want to prove that it is playing a big role in these students school life.

Any help,ideas,advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Hey guys,

I'm an ICT Tech in a secondary school and want to start an after school club, not only is it something I want to do personally I am also doing my degree part time with the long term goal of becoming an ICT teacher and it being a string to my bow for the future. A friend of mine who works as a TA at the same school is willing to work with me on it as he is also following the same path as me currently. We're going to sit down and throw some ideas around next week for the club but as it is going to be geared to special educational needs is there anything in particular the kids could benefit from doing, different ways of learning from that of mainstream ICT lessons/clubs that you can think of?

I am keen for this to be a success as my manager in the support dept isn't keen on me doing it, although she allows my colleague to run a performing arts tech club so want to prove that it is playing a big role in these students school life.

Any help,ideas,advice is greatly appreciated.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've been doing a project with bottom set KS3 students where they create a website that promotes themselves as an expert at something, for example rally driver, skateboarder, bmx stunt cyclist and so on. Apart from raising self esteem (albeit in a phoney way) a website acts as a vehicle for other activities, for example graphics, animation, video and so on.

Another one that's worked, again website based, is an advertising project for a product like a soft drink or confectionary. Start by designing the packaging then work outwards from there. Photograph the packaged item then incorporate the photos into animations and/or webpages. Record jingles or background music in Audacity or sample mixing software. Make a video advert.

If you really want to push the boat out try video editing - start with video clips supplied by you (extreme sports, theme park rides, funny YouTube clips, selected movie scenes for a trailer) and edit them into a coherent piece with a time limit, say 30 seconds. Once that's done and they know the basics they could film their own clips, possibly at home using their own video capture devices. Set them a theme, for example Cribs, Mary's Magic Mobile, Silent Movie, Benny Hill Chase, Stop Motion Animation, Finger Puppets etc and see what they come up with.

4. Hi
    I too run a special IT course once a week in a SEN school, although I'm actually an English and Music teacher. Learning a bit of HTML and making a little website was a good starter.
    Recently one of our staff wanted an additional PC in her classroom, so I got the small group of pupils to go and talk to her, find out where she wanted it etc... What software.... They then wiped an old PC and setup XP from scratch, found and downloaded drivers, loaded Open Office etc... Checked the Ip Address. Found the cables, we went to the patch bay and checked the connection. They're turning into experienced techies now....
    Regards

5. A few of our SEN kids are working together making things in Minecraft. They have been learning about running their own server, admin roles, control of rights etc. May not be the most high-flying ICT but the skills they are learning are brilliant. These kids couldn't co-operate and their social skills were very low. The boost to these and their self-esteem has been fantastic.