1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After school clubs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SleighBelle, Sep 7, 2012.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Who has asked you? Are you getting paid for them?
    A lot of staff run clubs in my school, but we do NOT have to and we get a day off in lieu for every half term of once-a-week, 45-minute-long sessions. Unless it is part of your directed time, you cannot be told to run clubs.
    We have football, hockey, newspaper, Forest club (outdoorsy stuff), cartoon drawing, sewing, multiball, story club, makaton and Wii Fit. In summer, some of the sporty ones change- rounders, tennis etc.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

TWO??? Have you got MUG tattooed on your forehead?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Firstly, I agree with lardylegs,
    but...
    Nothing that requires any resourcing.
    Nothing that requires any planning.
    Ideally something that doesn't require much effort at all.
    Two after school clubs is madness. I'd be looking pretty closely at my directed time if i was being asked to do TWO clubs.

4. NQT2004

NQT2004 New commenter

Film club- chuck on a DVD and do your planning!

5. My head has asked me and it will be part of my paid hours. Thanks for the replays!

6. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Filmclub - our is always a nightmare!

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My filmclub was great - really quite easy to manage and I got marking done at the same time. It only required a little thought about a theme for that half-term's films and then a little discussion about it when it was over.
    No ideas for any others, though, that don't involve too much input!

8. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Can I pick your brains on the film club? What sort of films did you have? Did the children do any activities based on them?

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I do film club as well. The films are free via Film Club (http://www.filmclub.org/). I can mark work, do displays (as long as I'm not trying to use a noisy wall stapler), or do a bit of planning. Or if I'm really interested in a film, I can just relax and watch it with the children.

10. homework club? - set them on the computers with their topic work -
    though you will have to wander around to make sure they're not playing
    games!!!
    press gang - write articles to create a school newspaper (you need publisher, and it's always more work than you'd think)
    if you're brave enough to do science, the british assn has stuff you can use
    board games
    drawing club - i can pm you a list of ideas if you're interested

11. Board game club...........really easy and fun!

Get a few year 6 chn to help, helps with counting, adding, subtracting etc without realising it!

12. Do dodgeball with KS1. Dead easy and you can run it for an hour with no problem at all if you train them well.

13. Film Club, as others have said,it is THE easiest club ever!!! Also done a'Golden Time' Club- bit like a social club- board games, colouring in, class computers, selection of books etc makes for easy resources and a nice relaxed atmosphere [​IMG]

14. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Puzzle Club

Loads of websites with free printable puzzles - word searches, dot-to-dot, sudoko etc etc

Provide a bunch of pens & pencils, and off they go - leaving you free to get on with your work!

15. IntoFilm

IntoFilm Administrator

Hi there Dave,

We’ve noticed that you posted recently about after school clubs, and then the various different replies, which included FILMCLUB, and we thought it might be of interest to
    post a few details about the organisation! I hope it’ll be of use to you and any one else new to FILMCLUB, as well as to current leaders, to inform you of some of the many benefits of running a
    film club and what else is on offer in addition to your regular screenings!

FILMCLUB is free for state
    schools to join, and include a number of benefits to make running your club
    easy, enjoyable and beneficial to yourselves and your pupils;

Choose from thousands of film titles available to
    order, delivered free and directly (via LOVEFiLM) to your school

Access to the FILMCLUB website to easily browse
    recommendation film seasons arranged into topics and age categories, and for you
    and your pupils to publish your own film reviews

Hundreds of free downloadable resources to help you
    engage with your pupils in discussions about the films you screen – many of
    which are available through the TES: https://www.tes.co.uk/mypublicprofile.aspx?uc=918642

Opportunities to interact with film industry
    professionals providing insight into the art of filmmaking through FILMCLUB Live
    monthly webcasts (where members are invited to send their questions in),
    in-school visits and film tours

Chance for your film club members to join the
    FILMCLUB Talent Development Programme in which members can attend and report
    from film premieres, interview top film industry talent, review preview films
    and learn how to programme their own film club

One to one teacher support from a designated
    Schools Support Coordinator, who can help you plan your club

Easy to join by registering at www.filmclub.org and taking part in a free
    online induction webcast to set you up to run your club successfully

**FILMCLUB Live** For a week every month, FILMCLUB Live present top film professionals
    and experts answering your questions live. September’s FILMCLUB Live starts today -
    tune
    in during your film club all this week (Tailored for primary (3.30pm) and
    secondary (4pm) audiences) for a mixture of exclusive film industry interviews,
    Q&A’s and insight into the magical world of cinema.

For more information about
    FILMCLUB head to www.filmclub.org.
    I hope that helps – and let
    us know if you have any questions!

16. Hello Im a new comer to this website and have just started up a watersports club, including kyaking, water polo volley ball, syncronised swimming etc. Not too hard to plan.
    Im also holding a drawing club for primary 3 and 4. I want to study different forms of drawing etc and ideas???????

17. Gymnastics,
    Film Club,
    Spanish Club,
    Art,
    Junk Model,
    Football,
    Golf,
    Wii Challenge,
    Science,
    Cheerleading,
    Street Dance,
    Maypole Dancing,
    Chess,
    Sign Language,
    Homework Club,
    Swimming,
    Rounders/Cricket (in the summer)
    Kite making/Flying in Autumn
    Games Club (snakes and ladders/ludo/mouse trap)

These are the most popular but there is also gardening, music and drama.