1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After School Club Ideas. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by neenybeen, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am currently working within a pre-school based at a primary school. We have taken over the schools failing after school club and have until the summer to turn it around. I have some experience of working in a club but i have never really worked with older children. If anyone has any ideas of activities to interest the older junior children? Ideas of advertising? And anything else that you think would help us turn the club around on a buget i'd be really grateful! Many Thanks!

2. Hi
    I am currently working within a pre-school based at a primary school. We have taken over the schools failing after school club and have until the summer to turn it around. I have some experience of working in a club but i have never really worked with older children. If anyone has any ideas of activities to interest the older junior children? Ideas of advertising? And anything else that you think would help us turn the club around on a buget i'd be really grateful! Many Thanks!

3. annie apple

annie apple New commenter

Hi - I dont run an after school club but my children attend while I'm working so I've picked their brains about their club which seems to be thriving.
    For the first part of the session they have a choice of
    - drawing table which is always out,
    - some sort of ICT activity( TV, DVD, DS or Wii )
    - portable storage unit with stuff like construction/ cars/ dolls etc.
    - a craft/art activity
    depending on the weather children have access to the library for quiet chilling/homework or the playground with outdoor toys.
    As you can imagine the ICT is a favourite for most of the older ones. Crafts that have interested my YR5 son has included Hama beads, friendship bracelets, painting, origami, printing, and decorating biscuits
    They then have a snacky tea which sometimes includes the children in the making eg. choose your own pizza topping.
    Games played are usually chosen by the children and include hide and seek in the dark, dodge ball, chinese whispers, stuck in the mud.
    In the summer more time is spent outside with team games, basketball etc.
    As a teacher I often go to car boots/ table top sales and make requests on freecycle to try and build up resources cheaply. Could also try Yellow moon for cheap craft stuff if you dont already.

Hope you might find something useful there!

Flyers are sent out in the pack that goes to all new Reception parents in the June prior to the children beginning school, and the club leaders also have a table advertising themselves at the new parent meeting. The club is also mentioned on the school website and flyers are sent home in school bookbags prior to each holiday to advertise the range of holiday activities on offer.Might be worth putting posters in local day care/ nurseries to let parents know what child care is available at your school to parents who dont attend your preschool.