1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After school club - for girls.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by cmsimpson, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hello.
    I am in my first year of teaching and would like to set up an after school club. However with no experience and no culture of it in the school I am a bit apprehensive.
    I would like it to be something for the girls in the school, mostly KS3. This is so we could look at women across history, literature, art, generally a broad spectrum of interests. Out of it I would like them to gain some confidence and get to do some fun activities that they wouldn't normally get to do.If anyone has done anything similar and has resources or ideas to share (or has any general advice about after school clubs) I would be really grateful.

2. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Is it a girls school, or mixed?

3. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

If it is a girls only club, how about some self defence type stuff.....There are a lot of martial art organisations and other training providers that will be able to advise on self defence techniques designed for school girls....
    Speaking as a female who currently holds 2 dan ranks in 2 different martial arts, plus now training in a third style, I can highly recommend something along those lines, not only for the practical 'self defence' element, but also the physical activity element......
    I'm not suggesting martial arts per se, I appreciate that it may not suit everyone, but basic self defence.
    B x

4. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

computer doing something silly,......hence me again!
    B x

5. It's a mixed school. I am sure this is a common problem but so many of the girls have low-self confidence and the boys are very dominating.
    I like the idea of the self-defence classes and will have a look into it.
    I hope to do a range of things and have talked to a couple of members of staff so that we could do cooking once a half term and will try for sport once a half term.

6. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Get DT on board with a jewellery club. (Usually a boy-dominated area we find). We did resin jewellery to start and set buttons and things into it in little moulds. We bought cheap ring backs off ebay and they worked really well. Just needed the 'health and safety-ness' from DT with the resin!
    The girls loved it and the rings were amazing :)