1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After School Club - advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by overtherainbow, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hi there, I am interested in starting a new club for reception/year 1 children. My first thought was an art and crafts club but I have sort of edited and come up with the idea of Making club - this way each week I could incorporate different activities using different things. For example - building making with lego and other construction toys, cooking basic foods ie rice crispy cakes, making a soup, cakes, malleable (making playdough), building with Plasticine, art crafts - painting, drawing, junk modelling, jewellery making etc do you think this would be a good idea?
    thinking maybe about 6-8 children

any feedback would be great

2. Hi there, I am interested in starting a new club for reception/year 1 children. My first thought was an art and crafts club but I have sort of edited and come up with the idea of Making club - this way each week I could incorporate different activities using different things. For example - building making with lego and other construction toys, cooking basic foods ie rice crispy cakes, making a soup, cakes, malleable (making playdough), building with Plasticine, art crafts - painting, drawing, junk modelling, jewellery making etc do you think this would be a good idea?
    thinking maybe about 6-8 children

any feedback would be great

3. Sounds good, and realistic in that you plan to only have 6-8 children, but before you start, set out a time table. Many parents will regard this as free childminding, so be clear about finishing time and also, perhaps set it up for 6 weeks/ half a term and then allow 6-8 different children to take part for the next 6 weeks.
    Good luck.

4. Hi thanks for the reply. I have done that I have set out 5 weeks, and I have also arranged for some year 6 children to come as helpers, I was thinking to do the plan like you suggest, just so I can sort resources and have it all set up to just get it out and crack on with it. I am excited :)