1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After School Club advice. Help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by neenybeen, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am currently working within a pre-school based at a primary school. We have taken over the schools failing after school club and have until the summer to turn it around. I have some experience of working in a club but i have never really worked with older children. If anyone has any ideas of activities to interest the older junior children? Ideas of advertising? And anything else that you think would help us turn the club around on a buget i'd be really grateful! Many Thanks!

2. Hi
    I am currently working within a pre-school based at a primary school. We have taken over the schools failing after school club and have until the summer to turn it around. I have some experience of working in a club but i have never really worked with older children. If anyone has any ideas of activities to interest the older junior children? Ideas of advertising? And anything else that you think would help us turn the club around on a buget i'd be really grateful! Many Thanks!

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Amongst the other suggestions which I am sure you will receive, try running a weekly film club.
    It will cost you nothing - free films and promotional materials.
    http://www.filmclub.org/

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

They just did a free cinema experience at our school. Absolutely brilliant.

5. Hi
    We were in a similar position to you a couple of years ago when a private provider pulled out - it has taken time but the club has grown and we are now nearly full before school and have a healthy number (for us) 6 -12 children after school.
    Things we have found useful were:
    • Being flexible ie changing opening hours to suit parents needs - we now open earlier, we also offer a collecting service from another local school.
    • Posters around school and leafleting the area (we offered parents a £10 gift if they delivered 100 leaflets - proved popular and all leaflets were delivered), having an open night on Parents' Evening to share activities, facilities, price etc
    • Before school discos we leaflet whole school and offer childcare until the disco this saves parents collecting and then bringing children back to school, we also help change them into disco clothes and ensure they get to disco safely.
    • Themed activities have proved successful in attracting children who do not need childcare but want to come for the activities eg cooking every Tuesday for 4 weeks - produce leaflet listing what will be cooked each week. We also offer Christmas and Easter specials - a craft and cooking activity each night for a week ending in xmas party, Easter egg hunt, egg rolling - again these are advertised on a leaflet and activities are specified for particular nights. In the summer we have offered outdoor specials with picnics, walks to the woods, den building, olympics etc
    • Generally activities are based on a theme and children are encouraged to make their own suggestions eg festivals, countries, World Cup, Hot and Cold
    Hope this helps, ask if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

6. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

I was ASC leader before getting my teaching post and like your situation the club was run by a private day nursery within the local infant school.
    We generally had different areas set up each night, with different activities that suited all ages. Knex and lego were always popular along with the craft station. We provided playdough one evening and years 3 and 4 spent most of the evening there! During school holidays the children enjoyed board games and themed days (Halloween, Chinese Day)
    We set up a system where the children could suggest ideas and activities that they wanted to do. This led to us creating a rocket out of cardboard and ensuring cooking was completed on different days so all children had a chance at cooking.
    The older children also asked for some where to sit and do their homework. We also tried to spend as much time outside, luckily we had scooters, footballs, balls, hoops, stilts available to use.
    Like others have mentioned it will take a while for parents to pick up on the change; our numbers increased when we asked if we could create a small display in the reception area of the school!
    The children have had a long day at school and ultimately just want to play!

7. Fantastic idea! Have signed up, thank you!

8. Thank you all for your great ideas! Have signed up for film club and now have a long list of ideas (thanks to you all) to take to my head teacher in the morning! I'll keep you posted with how it all goes.
    Thanks again![​IMG]

9. Do you charge ?
    In our school after school clubs are run by teachers and there is no charge. Has always been the case and most teachers run at least one.
    We offer (varying through the year), gardening, cooking, computer, art, science, sports and languages.