1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

After School Care and SEN

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Imprudence27, Jul 8, 2011.

  1. I am a governor at a primary school. Governors run a fairy successful after school care scheme: we charge £7.50 for 2 to 2.5 hours care for children from school. We are also able to offer a few places for children where we identify that it would be beneficial for social and emotional reasons (this aspect is a bit unclear to me, and possibly slightly less formally organsied than it ought to be.)
    Now we have two statemented children needing places. Both have profound LD, and will have a TA for 15 or 20 hours a week while in school. I am told that each night they are in after school club, it will cost us about £30, assuming we can find people to do the hours required.
    So my question is, do we absorb the costs? Give them access to our fund for the needy -- it's not infinite and will deny places to children whose families could not pay? Charge the parents (who are working) ...
  2. RJR_38

    RJR_38 New commenter

    Why will it cost you £30? Just because they have learning diffiulties does not mean they cannot cope in a play setting. I have a small class of statemented children linked to a mainstream class - they all need large amounts of TA support during academic sessions but not the rest. I also used to work in an after school setting specialising in children with severe SEN conditions - again not all these children needed direct adukt support. Those who did had medical/toileting needs or could potentially be a physical threat to other children. Is this the case for your children or is it just perhaps that people are worrying and spoon-feeding these children too much (far too common in my experience!)
  3. We have LA funding for children with SEN or disability - called dCatch...our PSA sorts it out.
    Can you find out from your Family Services Authority if they have anything like that to fund their place?
  4. If you charge the parents you will be discriminating on the grounds of disability, you don't charge anyone else £30 a time.
    Do they need a TA for after school schemes?
  5. I run the After School Club at the school I work in. We have children attending who have SEN but the club is about childcare and play, not formal education. I have never had a TA attending to support a child. One parent sent her son to help with his social skills. This was her choice and she paid the same as any other parent would.

Share This Page