1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After retiring I will not miss........

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by imateachertoo, Aug 31, 2011.

1. 'Now this is what Ofsted will be looking for'.

2. Any stupid, pointless meetings telling us the bleeding obvious.

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

The search at the end of each day for unnamed uniform.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The constant chipping away of self confidence by SLT who seem to have forgotten that their duty of care includes staff too and that teachers are human beings.

5. Couldn't agree more Dragonlady30.How can it be possible to feel you know less after 32 years than you did at the start ?

6. Dragonlady30

In my case, just under 37 years!
    I loved my job, I loved the kids-even the bloody-minded 16 years olds. What I didn't love was being made tofeel that all my experience meant nothing, being made to jump through ever smaller hoops and still being told that I wasn't doing it right! [​IMG]
    Hey ho, onward and upward!!
    Hubby's not too pleased that he's going to bed with a pensioner, though! [​IMG]

7. When I retire, I will certainly not miss 'Let's discuss your professional development targets'.
    In fact, I wont miss 'targets' in general!

8. All of these and first day INSET when wheel is reinvented and no praise is given for results that are even better than ever.

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

The alarm clock!!!! and that long, long drive to school [​IMG]

10. The 24 page 'action plan' to 'improve' everything incuding the kitchen sink!!!!

11. martinalford

martinalford New commenter

• Colleagues who weren't even born when I started teaching telling me how to do it and that I must "improve"
    • Battles over uniform/homework/equipment/planners/you fill in the blanks
    • Parents who take every opportunity to confront the school and everything it's trying to do whilst failing to instil basic social codes in their own children
    • Performance management targets (isn't it enough just to get through another week/term/year?)
    • Niggling over sublevels of progress
    • Calling pupils "learners"
    • "It ticks a box for Ofsted"
    • "I know it's one more thing to do, but..."
    • "Hit the ground running in September"
    • That ghastly phrase "Recharging batteries" - I'm nobody's toy robot

12. jj80

jj80 New commenter

going on this forum! lol ;)

13. [​IMG]

14. Dragonlady30

Ooh!! Love this thread. It's given me lots more things I'm NOT going to miss!! [​IMG]
    I notice particularly the comment about people not born when I started teaching. In the my leaving do, the person proposing my farewell asked for those born since 1974-my start of teaching-to put their hands up, I was faced with a veritable forest! [​IMG]
    While teaching, I did make a positive of this negative and clucked around the faculty like an old hen!! It annoyed some of them. Hee hee hee!!!! [​IMG]

15. I hate prejudice of any sort but I will make an exception with young teachers. Of course there are many interesting young teachers but am I alone in finding a lot of them rather dull and boring? Many seem to have little life outside the job or anything interesting to say. As an example, I recall a Staff Meeting a while ago where, as an ice breaking activity, we were asked who wrote The Tale of Two Cities. I was the fifth person asked and the first to know the answer correctly. My young colleagues were clueless.

16. EEEK! Ice-breaking activity.Enough to make me want to hide under the duvet.That wouldn't be difficult as I am in bed using the laptop,oh I'm not at school! HURRAH! As regards new teachers,I think they tend to teach by numbers-that is all they have ever known.Must dash.I have a new book to read.

17. Agreed Catherine. Ice breaking activites at Staff meetings were pretty much "the worst of times."!

18. I would agree about some young teachers being full of jargon with little outward signs of a living person underneath.

19. Someone mentioned their leaving do at school. When I left it was only those who were leaving voluntarily that received any mention on the last day, the five of us who had been made redundant got no acknowledgement at all: we just slipped away at the end of the last day. That really hurt, especially as I had been there for thirteen years.

20. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

That's a horrible way to treat anyone, jennybrice, especially after thirteen years of dedicated service.