1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After NQT, which should be my payscale?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Tracey1985, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I gained QTS after working for 18 months in a Private school...I started off on supply and then a mix up with dates, hence the extra few months. (Long story! [​IMG] )
    So after the economic crisis meant the school became riddled with financial troubles, I was made redundant. Something I think I shall never get over.
    I have been on supply since I left, where I would have been paid at Payscale 1...after I had worked there for 12 months, would/should my payscale have increased and should I be quoting this on the formsI fill in for prospective jobs?
    Hope this makes sense?!
    Thank you in advance!
    xTx

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

LA controlled schools will not have to pay you any more than M1. Your previous experience does not automatically count for pay progression as it was not in the State compulsory sector.
    You could negotiate a higher starting point but that is less likely to happen these days.
    An NQT in the State sector would be placed on M1 minimum for Induction, if employed there by the LA and not by an agency, and would be on at least M2 if they were LA employed for at least 26 weeks int hat school year, even if they haven't yet completed Induction.
    You can't specify a Mainscale point on LA application forms as you haven't yet been employed on Mainscale. What pay scale was used in your private school? I'd quote the last pay point received there.

3. Many thanks for the help!
    Can I clarify one thing, if I had done my induction year in a state school I would be on M2 at the moment, but because I completed it in the private sector I can really only be placed at M1 until I have worked for the 26 weeks in the state system?
    Thanks again!
    xTx

4. As you did induction in a private school a state school does not have to put you on M2. They can if they want to. I started on M2 as an NQT because of previous experience, but that was 10 years ago under a different financial regime. It is therefore likely you may only be offered M1.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Even if your private school registered you for Induction, a State school wouldn't have to pay you any more than M1.
    Did you complete Induction? If not, you would still be an NQT in the State sector and need to undertake Induction.

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No, you can be placed wherever you can persuade your prospective employer to put you when they make their offer.
    The point is they don't have to offer you more than M1.
    But you don't have to accept their offer. If you think you're worth M2, you can tell them so.
    They might agree with you. Then again, they might not.
    Of course, before you get to that point, you will have to get an interview and actually get the job. That might not be easy as many schools will assume that coming from the private sector, your behaviour management will not be up to scratch.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Just looked at your first post again.
    You wrote,
    Were you on some sort of Independent school Graduate Teacher Training Programme such as is offered in State schools for those who don't want to take the the PGCE route to gaining QTS?