1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After another couple of weeks of pabulum...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by racroesus, Sep 29, 2020.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

... something to get your teeth into.

I have come to the conclusion that bananas are becoming more recalcitrant when required to adorn slices of toast. I appreciate that there are various problems with using them when too young or too old but even bananas of three days of age from purchase when green now cause problems.
    My sainted Mother never complained about bananas when overlaying them on my toast and when I eventually took over bananaing operations from Mother (Maleficent refused) I experienced no problems.
    Now, however, I am finding the bananaing of breakfast toast to be an anxiety inducing operation. To get full coverage of the toasted bread requires judgement of the bananas available, the bread slices available and a fine calculation of the number of slices that can be produced with full coverage whereby there are no gaps as would appear when slices of banana are laid edge to edge. A small piece of banana left over is a rewarding tidbit but any bare buttered toast would be anathema and put me in a severe depression for the rest of the day.
    Quite recently I have begun to have problems; if I use a table knife for slicing the banana I find it cuts badly when I need to exercise very fine control of slice thickness which puts me in danger of not having sufficient banana to completely banana all the toast. I have used a sharper knife but I find that my control of delivering the banana slice to the toast is compromised. I think I need a sharp knife with a broad, shortish blade. I was wondering if any of out culinary experts could recommend a suitable implement.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Push the banana through the wires

[​IMG]

Slice it up longways with a cheese slice
    [​IMG]

For the really skinny green banana
    [​IMG]

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The slices would be much too thick. Thank you for your suggestion.

Dunteachin likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

mash the banana and spread it on?

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Go and sanitize your finger tips.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Aesthetically poor.

Dunteachin likes this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

This is what comes of being a scientist.
    We creatives slice it roughly onto the bread or toast, then mash vigorously with the back of a fork.

Note the adverbs.

jellycowfish likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You think I don't know what adverbs are? I see creatives, bread, toast, back and fork.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

10. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

These problems would never have arisen had we voted to remain in the EU.

mothorchid and lanokia like this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The time frame is right.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't eat bananas and toast.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Why live?

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Just have marmalade like NORMAL people.

blazer and Bungie like this.
  15. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Have you not got one of these machines in your kitchen? It's what professional banana slicists use.

16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Just slice them thick and use more bananas. Simples

17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Use a mandolin but watch your fingers

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Are woodwind instruments acceptable too?

19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Mr Mothorchid says bananas taste of bird vomit. I am not sure how he knows this.
    I like bananas,but not sliced on toast. A waste of toast, which could have marmite, marmalade or crunchy peanut butter spread over it instead.
    Sliced, ripe bananas, with a sprinkling of dark brown sugar and evaporated milk was a regular pudding when I was little. That's yummy.
    My grandpa used to have slices of banana over his all bran in the mornings. I have all bran or granola with natural yoghurt rather than milk and sliced banana is good in that.
    But on toast? No way.

gainly likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The firstest first-world problem I have ever read!

monicabilongame and mothorchid like this.