1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After All These Years ..... He's Not Even Qualified!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SAGITTARIUS100, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hi all. A very close friend of mine has just been hit with a bombshell.Fifteen years ago she went head-to-head with a colleague for an "A-Allowance". Unfortunately she was unsuccessful - so she just got on with her teaching career.
    She has just recently discovered that the guy who got the allowance did not have the necessary qualifications at that time to teach in the school. (He's still there by the way - still lifting the Allowance!) He has recently completed a course and acquired the necessary qualifications BTW - all done hush hush apparently! But all this has left her extremely angry and in a terrible dilemma. What should she do? Should she do anything. maybe it's all too late anyway.
    Would appreciate any advice on the matter.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

What does your friend hope to achieve by "doing" something? It will look like sour grapes.

3. Well, there's the small matter of £30000 perhaps!

4. My experience is that it is only over the last decade or so that people have had to provide evidence of qulaifications and there was dodgy stuff going on before this. As this tends to be current only among persons of a certain age - and who may have achieved a certain position of authority and credibility - I think you will find any investigation gets the lid slammed firmly down very quickly.

5. ......and it puts me in mind of the interview I lost out to in the early 1990s. The boss appointed a lovely lady, very lovely indeed, who was frank and open about having no qualifications for the job, 'buts lots of experience' unquote flutter eyelashes and pout.
    It got her the job.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There is nothing your friend can do. The issue of 30K is irrelevant to them as they did not take on the work for which the allowance was paid.

7. So, was he a qualified teacher?
    If not, how could be licensed to teach in the school?
    Bit lost on this one........if he was not qualified etc etc, did he have a crb?

8. becky70

becky70 New commenter

It was 15 years ago and things were very different then! I imagine some schools checked paper qualifications but not all. I don't think I had to show originals of paper qualifications when I started but I struggle to remember now. In those days OFSTED didn't check so much on that sort of thing.
    Re the OP - your friend's £30000 is gone forever. Even if this chap was appointed when he shouldn't have been she's not going to be given the job now or be paid the extra dosh that he got. She could blow the whistle and justice may be done but more likely won't be. Also, if she is at this school she has to deal with the consequences.