1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After 6 years Overseas, heading back to the UK- Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by libra28, Dec 8, 2011.

1. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hey all!
    I left the UK in 2005 and have for the last 6 years been enjoying International Experience both in International schools and the PPP projects... am returning back in the UK this Xmas and would appreciate any advice on my current situation- am in my late 30's, have secured a Teaching position in a school and know I'm going to have a huge salary drop... held off my Teachers Pension and now will contribute back to it.. in terms of Threshold ( I was on the verge of it when I should have taken Threshold that year) any advise on where I stand? How does my International experience contribute towards my pay scale and is the situation so dire in schools in the UK?... any advice would be really appreciated!!! Thanks

2. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hey all!
    I left the UK in 2005 and have for the last 6 years been enjoying International Experience both in International schools and the PPP projects... am returning back in the UK this Xmas and would appreciate any advice on my current situation- am in my late 30's, have secured a Teaching position in a school and know I'm going to have a huge salary drop... held off my Teachers Pension and now will contribute back to it.. in terms of Threshold ( I was on the verge of it when I should have taken Threshold that year) any advise on where I stand? How does my International experience contribute towards my pay scale and is the situation so dire in schools in the UK?... any advice would be really appreciated!!! Thanks

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If you're going back for the pension, why bother? It'll be worthless by the time you retire.

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Advice? Wellington's, gloves and a nice thick duvet. Brrr.
    I'm obviously doing something wrong as my salary overseas has been lower than that back in the UK, though my general health, standard of living, happiness and disposable income have all been higher. I'm in for the long overseas stint - sun over rain any day - and will take my retirement monies with me: 40 years' pension contribution at home guarantees nothing now and, unless you've inherited or made a killing in the property market, it will hardly be a comfortable old age in the UK.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have to agree with MisterMaker and happygreenfrog. The OP could not have chosen a worse time to go back to the UK. Oh, and did someone mention the 2012 Olympics? And who will be paying for it all? The Great British Taxpayer, that's who.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

And 'they' (the guvverment) have just decided to up the budget for the opening ceremony by a meagre £41,000,000 pounds - because it was looking like it would do us proud enough!
    This is the kind of thing (ie where the guvverment make such obviously unethical wrong decisions on so many levels and the people have no real recourse) that makes people so so angry.
    Oh by the way, the rest of you tighten your belts and try to survive on half a bowl of gruel a day rather than 1 - thank you.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Someone told me recently, stopwatch, that there is some ghastly TV series about British teenagers (I think that is is called Skins or some equally stupid title). Anyway, the series is supposed to show how British teenagers are a gang of lazy, moronic, sex-mad drunks. I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of returning to teaching in the UK.

8. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hey MisterMaker .. Oh My Lord... it aint looking bright at all for me!!!.. I hear you and also appreciate your comments and also Happyfrogs regarding the dismal pension state... of couse that isnt THE reason why I'm going back....how about upskilling myself and getting back into the Nat Curr and IB state of play.. I am hoping I may be more marketable in a few years time ready for my move again abroad?....Hmmmm....???!!!

9. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Ayeee up.. its certainly not looking good.... Ive already been told by family to bring some thermals and Ugg boots ..Crikey!!!....Hey HappyFrog I think I may have been very lucky...also Consultancy tends to attract a higher pay scale out in the Middle East....but again I respect what you say and I'm so happy that youve defintely taken to the more appealing climates than sadly the Uk's... I must say I'm more apprehensive about my relocation back to the UK then I was about leaving it....OOhhh errrr...

10. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hippo......Your post is so funny... I'll have to see if I can download it .. Oh wait.... Why bother when I'm more than likely teaching them ARGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

To sum it all up ... as much as Id love to stay out of the UK it appears that sadly I've been lumped with the fact that going home is around the corner!!!!

11. Agreed! The writing was on the wall at least 7 years ago.

My advice: Farmfoods, Aldi, Asda, Primark...take your pick!

12. ..or 'The Good Life'. [​IMG]

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

But you don't have to pass through Heathrow or Gatwick to find those.
    Plenty of COBIS schools offer them 'overseas', plus balmy weather, <strike>cheap booze varied drugs and exotic sex</strike> and teenagers who are still recognisable members of the human race.
    However, many of these schools are located in countries where anarchy is looming, or there are no civil rights for anyone, or the pollution is lethal, or the economy is in freefall, or there are red-back spiders on the toilet seats, or all of the above.
    Is there anywhere stable, comfortable and prosperous any more?
    Brazil, anyone?
    The one factor that makes the UK worse than anywhere else just now has been mentioned here, and it's not the eroding pension, or the grungy teenagers, or even the weather, it's the soddin boring cash-guzzling Olympic Pharmaceutical Phuckphest.
    Well, I'm off to the sports field myself now, to have a peek at the first game of the Senior Girls' football tournament, while the great and the good of Europe meet to decide whether or not Mrs D. and I will freeze and starve in our 'golden years'.
    Let's hope we have a sports field this time next year and have not been reduced to tearing up the Astroturf (it will make warm blankets) to plant Brussels sprouts (geddit?)

14. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Haha! Thanks SMT Dude...comments noted and appreciated.... Sadly January isnt a fantastic time of the year to start in a school full stop but sadly the Project I was working in came to a crash, bang , wollop as of December making many of us "superfluous".. Ahem....so as I'm shafted abroad, guess I may as well be Yours truly shafted in London Whoppeee!!!....Did think of doing some supply in the UK but then felt it look better on my CV to get some "real" Uk teaching experience....I know the predicament is naff but thinking if I restabalise in the UK for about two years (she screams 2 years Arrgghhh!!!!) then I'm thinking I'll be more marketable for International experience ????!!!!!(Please dont all laff!!)....Hmmm....considering my Xmas aint looking too bright and neither my New Year...UK's glorious weather/ high rates & taxes/ jovial lovely people and the amazing London 2012 Olympic games have appealed me on mass making me JUST SOOOOO waiting to come home........(Someone shoot me)!!!

15. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hey BobbyDazzler .... is that the 21 century's version of a soup line???....!!!

16. Libra
    I just left the UK for a while. You will be fine I am sure even if a little chilly.
    This Europe business and the financial crisis is probably going to change the place for a while but it is a grea place to live nd it wont be too long before I am back there.
    Good luck to you Liba and have a great xmas.
    BTW...what do you teach

17. libra28

libra28 New commenter

Hey BT... WOW!!!!!!!!!! From all the responses - you are the first "ray of light" to my somewhat abysmal predicament!!!...Thank you for the encouragement even though maybe u and I both need shooting!!!!.. Merry Christmas to u too and hope we all have a good one....Im trained in History and English !!!