1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After 30 years in the classroom, a first...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Oct 18, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Today a yr 8 pupil asked me if I could tie his shoe laces as he didn't know how to do it! Then I had to re-tie them because they were too tight.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good grief!! :rolleyes:

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've had more than a few Year 6s who couldn't tie their laces in the past few years!

5. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Is it maybe, in some instances, cos some of those kids have only ever had slip ons or velcro clasp shoes before?

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I blame George de Mestral.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And he blamed Arctium lappa.

Jamvic and LondonCanary like this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Most children with loose laces just tuck them into their shoes. and some older ones, such as my 15-year-old grandson!

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I had a year lad in my form once (yr.7) who couldn't dress himself properly, you could always tell when he'd had PE as the buttons and holes on his shirt didn't match up properly, the two sides would be up or down by a button or two.

Being unable to tell the time was quite common too in more recent years. "Sir, how much longer have we got in this lesson" - I point to the clock, child looks quietly puzzled as I realise the analogue clock is of no help to them. Similarly "what time does this lesson end?" - "the usual time for period 2", again, a blank look.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Right now, some kid is saying that he can't believe the oldies can't use Instagram properly. Or that we remember when you could walk into a police station, or that we used to have bobbies on the beat and GPs who popped round to your house at 9pm to check little Johnny was over his 'pox.

celago22 likes this.
  11. Bungie

Bungie New commenter

I invigilated an A level maths exam where a supposedly gifted maths student could not set up his own calculator correctly (which he had owned for several years.) Neither could he work out how much time he had left!

12. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Kids just cannot tell the time. They deserve a ticking off.

agathamorse, HelenREMfan and Lalad like this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Thought you were retired, ower Blizer!

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I taught one girl (maths, but not a lot) who thought that Histogram was a social media app she had not previously heard of.

15. Bungie

Bungie New commenter

No they don't. But their parents should hang their heads in shame. (Obviously this comment does not refer to the parents of any child with special needs.)

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My children were given an analogue watch for their 6th birthday after they'd been instructed (at home) with how to tell the time using a large cardboard clock face. I couldn't believe how many Yr 7s couldn't tell the time in English when I started teaching it to them in 1999 in French and Spanish when I became a mature entrant to the profession.
    They knew how to tie shoelaces and how to button up clothing (and how to use a zip) by practising on a toy figure before they ever started school.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you Google "School Shoes", half of the resulting images are shoes which fasten by velcro or slip on shoes.
    Perhaps the expectation that they know how to tie shoes is just anachronistic.

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Then how will they cope with trainers etc outside school?

Bedlam3 likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Velcro-fastening shoes are hardly the last word in cool. Should e compulsory in EY, though.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just do a bit of supply to pay for holidays

agathamorse and nizebaby like this.