1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

After 13+ years, I still hate lesson observations!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Why? I ask myself?
    I have a lesson observation later in the week.
    My lesson is planned. It ticks lots of boxes that Estyn would be looking for if they were in. It matches up with the school planning and the NC. It isn't differentiated by different activities, but is differentiated in many other ways (use of equipment/mixed ability to support each other/thinking skills and Afl to support etc) has plenty of scope for key skills. My behaviour management may not be the tightest in the school, but it is sound and my class do plenty of work and make progress.
    I'm still on edge about it. The kids are an unknown quantity. You can never judge exactly what they will do or how they will cope with a concept. This is the part of the of the job that makes it interesting and always different, but that also makes it nerve wracking for observations.

2. eread1

eread1 New commenter

totally feel for you, I'm the same... hope it went well!

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Know what you mean. I did a RTT course last term, and the first lesson I taught in ten years was observed by THREE people, all scribbling furiously, who then proceeded to give me several sides of A4 in feedback, and ask me if I knew about 'dialogic classrooms' and what I thought of them. argh! Letting children talk? Whoever would have thunk!?
    So while on the one hand I was quivering like a jelly (hate being judged!!) I was also gnashing my teeth, thinking, 'young whipper-snappers!!!'. Sigh. And now I've got a job...hey ho. All suggestions gratefully recieved...!

4. But Waterfin, why on earth are you worried about the children? Didn't you get the memo that all children in schools have been replaced by robots? Hence, they ALL respond in a positive way to dimmed lights and music playing, they ALL benefit hugely in jumping around like idiots for the 10 minutes at the start of the morning and afternoon sessions, they ALL only need to be taught something once, and then they know it to the core and only need to apply it when learning a new skill (ie never having more than one single lesson about the same thing, eg adjectives), they ALL do exactly what they are asked - if you ask 'in the right way', and they ALL are not only capable, but WILL make AT LEAST two sub levels progress over the course of two terms, despite the fact that one of them has had a parent die unexpectedly this year, one is still recovering from serious surgery, three are living with the effects of long term and serious abuse, one has an drunkard single parent, three have severe SENs.........
    Sorry, does the 'I have had enough' come through enough? [​IMG]
    Remember, it is a tick box exercise - in one ear, out the other, and wash over your head whilst you smile and nod :)
    Good luck

5. Did you not get the memo happypixie?
    The robots now have to achieve 4 sub levels progress (if our last meeting was anything to go by)