1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

African Myths and Legends

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skt107, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi! I'm doing a big topic on Uganda this term with Year 3 and want to start my literacy with a narrative unit. Does anyone know any good African myths/legends? (Otherwise I'm thinking I may have to accidentally drift away from the framework and do Stories from Other Cultures instead!)
    Thanks for your time!
    skt

2. What about Anansi the spider? I think they are African folk tales.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Both great ideas! Thank you! I'd never heard of Anansi but that looks perfect!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I used this Anansi story with my class last term
    Anansi

6. Thank you so much! I have hunted some stories down in the local libraries - but have just remembered that most of them will be closed this weekend! So this is perfect! Trust me to leave things until the last minute :-s

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

8. Have a look at this website for creation myths from around the world. Creation myths are good fun and produce some interesting writing from children. They are also quite easy to structure as they follow a pattern.
    http://www.mythicjourneys.org/bigmyth/2_eng_myths.htm

9. Thank you everyone! Now I'm spoilt for choice! Great ideas - really appreciate it.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you are doing a topic on Uganda, it would be better to use stories from Uganda, not just general African stories. Lots of children think Africa is a country not a continent anyway, it would be good not to cause further confusion.

Or expand your topic to cover Africa as a whole continent, not just one part of it.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

How true and how sad.