1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Africa

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hazelcampbell, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am planning for a topic on Africa with Primary 4.
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to share. I was also looking for anyone doing the same topic or a related topic? We could arrange a glow meet and have our children share their learning and discuss findings with each other.
    Hope to hear from someone :-(
    take care
    Hx

2. Hello,
    I am planning for a topic on Africa with Primary 4.
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to share. I was also looking for anyone doing the same topic or a related topic? We could arrange a glow meet and have our children share their learning and discuss findings with each other.
    Hope to hear from someone :-(
    take care
    Hx

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. dobby

dobby New commenter

I've done this a few times, start with world map and identify continents and oceans then move onto idea that africa is a continent not a country. Label map of Africa landscapes deserts, mountains, rivers, rainforests and name a few major countries that you are going to focus on. Look at flags and their meanings. Then you could go 1 or 2 different ways depending on the Final outcome. You could focus on life in one country and look at home/school/food/culture/music it would work if you are looking from a less ec developed point of view. I do think it's important to challenge the stereotype that all African's live in mud huts, there are some very affluent cities which building-wise could be anywhere in the world. Loads of traditional art work like batik, tribal masks. African chants and drumming for music linked to dance in PE. English wise do non-chronological reports on the big 5 game animals and traditional stories (cbeebies tinga tinga tales are a good starting point for the story titles) which are like myths - why the tiger has stripes is a good one.

There is a fantastic channel 4 video called Africa child which has programmes of 20 minutes with a focus on a different coutry and an aspect of life there so one is children making a tv show then another is childen who live in the Cameroon rainforest and clean their teeth why chewing sticks. It is old but your school library service might have it.

Please excuse formatting I'm on my phone.
    M xx

5. BBC dvd "Wild Africa" would be good for bringing the geography and wildlife to life. The Action Aid set of resources has I think some African sets, but I've not used them.

6. What is a "glow meeting"? Where did the term come from? I've done orientations, jigsaws etc in the past, maybe we haven't glowed enough .

7. Being a Paul Simon fan, I'd tried to squeeze playing some tracks of his African album in, if only, "Under African Skies". (Plus other music from Africa.)

8. Im not sure how to reply back to all of you.
    Thank you so much for help and advice, this is great!
    A glow meet is a bit like skype, it enables you to communicate with people in another county or school etc
    Thank you again for help and advice
    Hx