1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Africa - Uganda Kampala

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TheComputingTeacher, Jan 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Hello. Anybody here have much Information about Kampala or Uganda. I hear the city can be busy and polluted? Would love to hear about salary expectation and the tax situation?
    Cant find much information but my initial research suggests high taxes. What about rental?

There's a afew schools, one part of massive global group. Which I'm interested in.

Your comments and advice would be appreciated.

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Conversation sent

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

City is very busy. Traffic is a nightmare.

Taxes are high, so do your numbers.

Ask about safety of area accommodation is in. Safe expat areas are expensive, relatively speaking.

Amazing place. Just not easy and not everyone’s cup of tea. Great travel opportunities.

4. Mr_Malaga

Mr_Malaga New commenter

Lived there for 3 years. Traffic truly horrendous (even though the centre of Kampala is actually quite small), you'll need to live nearby the school. It it can be polluted, sometimes the smog was so bad you couldn't see the city centre from the surrounding hills. Safest areas are the expat areas as Rouxx says, but they are expensive
    unless you are on an expat package
    . Also, electricity and water are luxuries not necessities....according to the national suppliers.
    It is an amazing place, it is one of the African countries that has everything. My kids went to one of the international schools which had a good community. If I had to pick, I'd go for ISU in Lubowa which is out of the centre and the chaos and gives the option of 'popping' to Entebbe.

rouxx likes this.
  5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

...and the erratic internet (although mobile data is now pretty reliable)

6. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Thanks for the information. That has been useful.

Does anyone have any idea of the school terms and when they start/end? does it follow British system.

What about this Social Security of 5%??