1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Africa topic Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cecille, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Hi all,

Has anybody got any great ideas for lessons about Africa?

I would like a really good project that my clever year 4 class can really sink their teeth into but am drawing a blank after 5 hours planning my Literay and Numeracy!

C

2. Hi all,

Has anybody got any great ideas for lessons about Africa?

I would like a really good project that my clever year 4 class can really sink their teeth into but am drawing a blank after 5 hours planning my Literay and Numeracy!

C

3. I have planned 'A village in Kenya' topic for this term for my KS2 class. We're investigating different areas of village life such as schools, food, houses, jobs/farming, fair trade,debate about tourism, the lives of the Masai Mara and then comparing to African city life and also our lives here (village school). We are also lucky to have links with a small African school and the children write to each other, exchanging information about their lives. If you would like any plans or resources then I would be happy to share.

4. Choccie...we're doing the same topic this term and your plans sound great....could i be cheeky and ask for a copy please? iced_gem@ntlworld.com

Thanks in advance!! xx

5. sorry to be cheeky but could i request a copy of your plans too? heather.janson@gmail.com
    thanks in advance
    heather

6. Oh no what have I started lol. I'm happy to send you my plans. You should have mail soon :)

7. oh could I be cheeky too and jump in on this?? I'm on placement and TRYING to plan a similar lesson, it would be so helpful...

emma_ward@hotmail.com

8. I will send you a copy by all means. My planning, however may need to be changed a little as it is based around Kenya. I planned this a few weeks ago before all the horrible political uprisings and violence started there. I have switched it to Uganda but am still following the same activities, with a bit of tweaking!

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Could you not adapt the planning for India?

10. Lol no that would be far too easy jog_on. It was a village in India when it was last taught - 4 year programme as I have the whole of KS2 in the class and head has now changed it to a village in Africa. I like a challenge anyway - I'm a teacher but thank you for the very sensible suggestion. Hope the Ofsted goes well :)

11. Yes I have all of those downloaded ready to go - it's such a fab site. Cannot use them now though!

12. Would it be really wrong to still do the planning on Kenya? Quite a few of my children have been following the events in the news and are very interested.

C

13. Cecille - you should have mail.

14. Hi,

Just started my copy of Junior Ed by Scholastic, for January and there is a super resource for an African theme. You can download music and links to drama, from Scholastic web site.

15. Hello Choccie...please could I have a copy too?
    Thank you vey much
    m x

16. Ooh peter pan thank you. It's such a great topic as there are loads and loads of things you can do across the curriculum and I'm so excited about starting it. Will check it out as soon as I've finished my PSHE planning.

mrsray - could I have your email address to send planning to please :)

17. If you teachers would like to help raise funds to build a small nursery in Kigali, with my ex head who is doing voluntary work out there, email me and I'll put you in touch with her.
    chinapanda16@yahoo.co.uk

18. Hi Choccie

If you dont mind, can you please send me a copy of your plans. I need to re-write our scheme of work from a village in india (chembakolli) to one in africa (senegal). was hoping to your look at your plans at as starting point.

thanks in advance,

del_boy_fr@yahoo.fr