1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Africa, South America or Dubai? Teachers in either place please help...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laurenlupita, Feb 14, 2019.

1. laurenlupita

laurenlupita New commenter

I am currently looking to work overseas and I am very stuck on the decision between Dubai and either Africa or Latin America.

I have interviewed for an amazing school in Africa and I am aware that you are paid in local currency and the rate is much lower than my current salary in the UK (for a more senior role). And I am presuming it would be the same in South America?

I know that although the salary is low, I should have more money left to myself than I currently do in the UK (school provide lodgings and meals) but I guess I am worried about saving and also career development once I leave.

I think I will be happier in places in Africa or South America, but earn more and therefore have more oppurtunities to travel and save in Dubai or the UAE.

What are people's experiences of the above places? Is it normal to be paid in local currency in Africa for an international school? And is the cost of living in Duabi low enough to actually save some money?

Thanks in advance.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

im in africa and i can assure you i am paid in Euros and considerably more than any UK teacher.

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I was in a school in Africa, was paid in local currency, school provided lodging and food.
    Pay was lower than in the UK but nearly all of it was disposable income.

Follow your heart not your bank balance.

Africa is an amazing experience.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

You could follow your heart, but first I would advise doing a "SEARCH" on this forum.

5. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

How do you actually ‘search’ on here? I always see these comments but I can’t see a search option (viewing the forum on my phone).

As for the OP, I’m teaching in South America right now - feel free to send me a conversation/PM.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

It is dangerous to generalise. 'Local' currencies vary widely in stability. The UK pound is shaky but, even so, a quid will buy you bucketfuls of Zim dollars or Venuezuelan bolivars. Not everybody can find themselves a job in dumbells' Shangri-La where they even pay the caretaker in gold moidores and pieces-of-eight, but, as the pachyderm says, do your homework.

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

while there are plenty of "Shangri-La" places all over the world, the trick is to know where they are, and there are quite a few across Africa.

it is an important point about "local currency". dont be afraid of it. there are plenty of schools all over the world that pay in local currency. it only becomes a problem when you cant convert that currency worldwide. the countries that dont have a tradable currency will have alternative payment arrangements (like my school). if a school is in a country that has a non tradable currency and still paying completely in local currency, then you are in a serious low level school.

8. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I think I will be happier in places in Africa or South America, but earn more and therefore have more opportunities to travel and save in Dubai or the UAE.

Yes I think you are right here.If saving is your priority then it has to be the Middle East.
    South America is a huge shock to the system (depending on the country you choose) and the levels of poverty are something you will probably never have seen but will get used to surprisingly quickly. Nevertheless there are some beautiful places and sights that will remain with you well after you leave. I found that salary is fine for a good life in South America and so you will be OK if you don't have bills to pay back home. Money transfers can be a bit complicated.

Dubai for saving money...though it is no longer what it was for earning potential. It is easy to settle there especially as English is widely spoken and living standards are high.

9. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Scroll right to the bottom of the page, and click on the plus sign next to community. The search function is hidden in there. It's stupidly hard to find on a phone, and leads to a lot of the same questions cropping up as people can't find it, in my opinion!

masty88 and little_miss_indigo like this.
  10. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

Found it! Thanks! I agree it’s not very obvious so perhaps some users should cut new commenters a little slack (not you) when it comes to repeated questions.

11. gudrunbjorg

gudrunbjorg New commenter

I've taught in both Africa and S-America. Feel free to message me if you want some information. Can't say about Dubai, but happy to help with the others.