1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Africa and Olympic drama ideas

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by *Taster*, May 7, 2008.

1. Posted by: Dawn26 at 06 May 2008 18:42

I have to organise a lesson for a group of yr 7-9 on The Olympics. Any ideas?

I have no budget so can't get any one in.

2 | Posted by: curlysue82 at 06 May 2008 19:18

Not directly connected but could you do a lesson on achievement and success and do lots of group work activities?
    The 4 C's of drama - Co-operation, concentration, confidence and communication.
    Whole class activities like getting themselves in order of height without talking, then alphabetical. Then split them into groups and give them 10 seconds to make the shape of different objects and things like that.
    Paired task where they can only talk gibberish and the class guess what the situation is.
    And maybe give stickers in the plenary for the one who co-operated the best, communicated the best, etc. Like your own drama olympics!

3 | Posted by: pendryl at 07 May 2008 00:39

Building on the last post, what about theatre sports activities, lots of different improvisations activities in teams against each other ?! Then you compare the role of the actor with the athelete - working together/training/risk taking/challenge/celebration/identity ets etc

4 | Posted by: poor tom at 07 May 2008 06:52

Save on budget by insisting on authentic Olympian costumes!!

Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Do you mean Ancient Greek Olympics or the modern Beijing/London operations?
    You'll not mean that mountain range in Washington state where I once had a wonderfully romantic long weekend, while enjoying redwoods, volcanoes (Mt St Helens in distance,) seal colonies, seabirds etc?

5 | Posted by: resources4drama at 07 May 2008 08:25

Not sure how long your lesson is but...

Get a long list of Olympic sports. In groups, they are to choose as many as possible and perform them (al equipment mimed) as if in a vintage silent film. Get some silent film music to play in the background (hundreds of sites on internet - try googling "perfessor bill"). In every activity, something has to go wrong. (The end comes off the hammer; the rope breaks in the tug of war).

Have some fantasy sports if you wish - Olympic chess, the PS3 relay.

Have an announcer to link one event to another, film it (in black and white if possible) and watch it back.

Perhaps keep coming back to the marathon runners (slow motion? Chariots of Fire).

If enough students, make several groups who can then perform to each other.

2. That thread was on page one. Today.

3. Thanks taster. Some interesting ideas - I like the silent film idea, the trouble is it is for a performance to the whole school - each year group has to do one. We had thought about having marathon runners keep coming on throughout the performance but apart from that, nothing. It has to link to Africans in the Olympics. Anyone else any other ideas I could add to these? Also thought of having kids playing african drums throughout too.

4. *up* Anyone else any ideas? Please.....

5. Does it have to be Africa and the Olympics? Why? you seem to have painted yourself into a corner here.
    Why not do something you have got ideas for?

You could research famous Africans in the Olympics, like Zola Budd.
    And the barefeet runners.

6. Hi (again) Taster.
    It does have to be Africa and the Olympics because the theme our school has picked for Creative arts week is the Olympics and my year group partner chose Africa as the country we will focus on. It is proving more difficult than I thought - we've come up with lots of ideas for the arty stuff through the week but it is just the performance at the end of the week that we are stuck on. The final performance has to be drama/music focused, showing something to do with both. So a play or something that perhaps highlights Africas involvement in the games would be good. I will go and have a look at the barefoot runners now...

7. I found a few websites which give brief details on all the modern olympics - including the ones that were cancelled. I've been devising a presentation along the lines of the Reduced Shakespeare Company - 100 years of Olympic history in 15 minutes. I have four groups working, each with brief details on a handful of games from particular years. They are responsible for the way in which the stories are told but can have a funny one, a serious one and one that uses pictures or sounds that can be shown in the show ( eg - funny one about Eric the Eel done as a series of thought tracks, serious one about the munich games as roleplay of people reading in the newspapers, and photo display about Jesse Owens in Berlin, narrated by one student)
    They seem to really be enjoying it.