1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AfL activities in science

Discussion in 'Science' started by dudette2001uk, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Hi all,
    I was hoping somebody would be able to give me some ideas about good AfL activities that can be used in Science (Chemistry in particular). I'm not the most creative of people, and I really think that I need to improve my use of AfL in the classroom.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Hi all,
    I was hoping somebody would be able to give me some ideas about good AfL activities that can be used in Science (Chemistry in particular). I'm not the most creative of people, and I really think that I need to improve my use of AfL in the classroom.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks! [​IMG]

3. Do you have access to the Badger style actvities? I like using them regularly (but not all the time - maybe once per topic at KS3) so the students get familiar with the system of using them/peer assessing/self assessing etc.
    I also get my students to plan practical investigations and then look at ways of improving their plans with level ladders.
    A really simple HWK task is to get them to find their "best" piece of work. Then tell me why it is the best piece - and then tell me what level/grade it is and why. So with my Y10s - one of them said that their best piece of work was an essay on the "best metal in the world" because "they had researched it using lots of different websites, and then communicated their opinion effectively using appropriate keywords". That was their words not mine!
    Just a few of my ideas - all really similar I know, but they work really well with my students.
    Good wuestion though - can't wait for the other replies!
    Sty x

4. Thanks stypig! The hwk task you described sounds really good - definitely one that I can use with my classes. We do use the Badger assessments at KS3, although not at KS4 as they don't really fit all that well with the WJEC course - bunch of dinosaurs that they are in WJEC!

Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

5. One of the things i use at KS3 and 4 are worksheets with Q's that are levelled or graded -they start easy and end up hard. I get the pupils to have a go at them then peer assess as i go through them with a ppt file at the board. It's good for them they can work through the sheet at their own pace and good for me as they show differentiaition and peer assessment/AFL.
    Put your email address on and ill send you an example if you want.

6. Could you sent them to me too please
    stusing100@gmail.com
    Thanks

Stu

7. Juliejacks

Juliejacks New commenter

I am the only science teacher in a really small indpedent grammar school. Would also appreciate being able to have an example of your worksheets.
    hollybank@blueyonder.co.uk
    Have you posted any onto the resources section?

8. Hi bidd
    Could I have some examples of what u use at KS3 and KS4...MUCH APPRECIATED...

thanks

d

9. What exactly are you looking for? i.e topic wise or type of resource?

10. Just ask "why" "what makes you say that" "can you explain that" "what would the opposite of that be" "why is X's answer incorrect" "can anyone explain why X's answer is correct" "How did you know that" "how do you work that out" "why are you doing that" all the time during all the activities.

11. also: odd ones out - asking all the time "why"

12. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

The RSC provides some very good full lesson plans for a range of ages with AfL aftivities built in:
    http://www.rsc.org/education/teachers/learnnet/aflchem/

13. That website is brill....thanks for sharing

14. I agree! Thank you all for your help with AfL matters. The ideas are great and easy to implement in the classroom - best of both worlds!
    [​IMG]

15. Hi Bidd1980. May Ihave a copy too sent to georgelovelyscott@googlemail.com

Thanks in advance!

16. I have posted sone on the website and put the link earlier on this thread...Was there anything inparticular that you were after?

17. OssianHynes

OssianHynes New commenter

18. Hi! Could I have a sample too, please?

anarchy@megapei.com