1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Affording to move for a job - any help available?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Vanadesse, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm doing my PGCE so I'm starting to look at and apply for jobs. I'm happy to go basically anywhere but the problem is being able to afford to move because obviously it means paying a months rent up front, deposit etc. and now that there's no bursary, I really don't know how I'm meant to afford to do it. Is there any help available towards all of these costs? Even on a loan basis or something. After 3 years of uni and now a year of PGCE, there's going to be no overdraft left at the end! Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm doing my PGCE so I'm starting to look at and apply for jobs. I'm happy to go basically anywhere but the problem is being able to afford to move because obviously it means paying a months rent up front, deposit etc. and now that there's no bursary, I really don't know how I'm meant to afford to do it. Is there any help available towards all of these costs? Even on a loan basis or something. After 3 years of uni and now a year of PGCE, there's going to be no overdraft left at the end! Any advice is much appreciated.

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

There is no financial help for these costs as a loan or otherwise unfortunately.
    Most people got a job for September in another area, worked throughout the summer in any job they could get to obtain the funds to put towards a deposit. Some lived with relatives initially who lived close or lent money from family.
    You could apply for a personal loan once you have a teaching contract if you couldn't get the funds any other way but other than that it is difficult really.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It does depend on the area/ employer. Some places have an early start arrangement so NQTs pick up supply work in July and the contract starts August. Many employers do also operate an advance on salary to cover accommodation costs etc. You may even find some below market rent accommodation in some London boroughs. Check out their websites for further information or look in the NUT first post guide