1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AET

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kirkdax, Feb 24, 2020.

1. kirkdax

kirkdax New commenter

Has anyone had any experience with working for Academies Enterprise Trust?

Do they follow the Burgandy Book?

I'd be grateful to hear of your experiences.

2. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

No, no experience here.

Though I do tend to avoid any school with the word 'Trust', 'Enterprise' or 'Academy' in its title like I would avoid the plague.... or a Friday night in Doncaster.

3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I don't think we could answer this without breaking TES T&C.
    But I think livingstone has a good warning about places to avoid for a good night out!
    I've never been to Doncaster personally, and I am sure there are many that love it.
    We are all different.
    The secret is, know what you want for a good night, and what you might consider to be negotiable.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Very clever post;)

cornflake likes this.
  5. GreenTrees123

GreenTrees123 Occasional commenter

All academy/free school chains are quite rightly not obliged to follow the burgundy book. This means we are free to innovate and look at different ways of of using our resources.

We have contracts in place for staff at my place that ensure they are able to meet the needs of parents and pupils in an agile, flexible and efficient manner.

6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

From your profile you are not new to teaching so I assume that you have already done some research. Remember that while things may be improving with this organisation there is still progress to be made. You can negotiate for the pay and conditions you want, academies have lots of money regardless of what they may claim. I base this on the assumption that an organisation that can pay its CEO's 200K + with 20%+ annual pay rises clearly has plenty of money. If they say differently then don't waste time on them. If you take the job and it doesn't work out then move on ASAP. Remember if they decide to get rid of you they won't show you any loyalty. It is just a job.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. letap

letap Occasional commenter

In your case:
    1. Fleece the British Taxpayer.
    2. Have a fund to cover the inevitable litigation you will face from the poor provision you provide.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

You posted at 12:31 - scary oh, @GreenTrees123 .....

Ivanhoe likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The vast majority of Single and multi academy trusts adhere to STPCD, which is what really matters.

Haven’t heard the ‘burgundy book’ mentioned for years! (Will it be blue now like our passports...?)

install, Ivanhoe and HolyMahogany like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

A wind up imho - :rolleyes:

a1976 likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It gets mentioned on threads here nearly every week, quoted from, links posted to it......:)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  12. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

What they meant to say was, we only pay teachers who kiss our backsides with rewarding salaries and promote them to top levels of 'management'. I've worked in an AET academy as a teacher and some as a supply teacher. Let me tell you, staff retentions was awful. Senior leaders were all 23-27 years old who were clueless about how to run a school, yet they were the ones leading the sinking ship. Several academies were taken out of the AET chain over the last four years. These people haven't a clue how to budget for education. Those at the top couldn't work hard if they tried.

At the academy I worked at as a full-time teacher from 2009-2012, those who rose to the top were the PE staff (all young). Those who rose to middle leaders were again, PE staff who were in their late 30s and 40s. Many of those who became part of the SLT after the school became part of the AET were people from a nearby Building Schools for the Future school (failing one at that, and was opened by Blair) that merged with another school to form the AET.

HolyMahogany, install and agathamorse like this.
  13. michelle_turner57

michelle_turner57 New commenter

I know of one that does appear to have a staff retention issue

Deirds, install and agathamorse like this.
  14. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Very likely the one I used to work at. This one has a certain group of 'in' staff members that will never go anywhere, stick together, and make sure that no positive changes take place at the academy. They know all the parents of the troublemakers which is why nothing can ever change in terms of behaviour or staff morale. In other words, there were (and apparently still are) a handful of people including pastoral staff that think the school belongs to them and the AET never does anything about it. In fact, I think the AET are afraid of them, which shows how spineless the people who run this trust really are. These "in" teachers chased away or arranged for any principal or leader who comes in wanting to make a difference in behaviour leave. They've had three different principals in the last three years. A few of those 'in' teachers left for other schools once they found out they actually had to do some work. The others are tied to the community and are too insecure to leave it, so they consider the academy to be theirs. One of these 'in' teachers somehow has his fingers in management and worms his way into leadership positions. He's affiliated with year sevens and is on the governing body. But this teacher can't progress any further because he's not a fully qualified teacher and no other school would have him.

agathamorse likes this.