1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aerosol transmission of COVID - implications?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by inthered, Jul 10, 2020.

1. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

So, what do you think the implications are for schools? Doesn’t seem to me that if WHO admit aerosol transmission, that we can all go back to school without, at the very least, wearing masks.

My classroom has little ventilation and air circulation, as can be experienced after lunch when 3rd years have had a carb-rich lunch. Hate to think what 30 kids coughing and sniffling will do.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-53329946

bigjimmy2 and Marisha like this.
  2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Implications? We're all DOOMED.

More seriously, if the case numbers are low enough in a month's time it won't matter.

bigjimmy2, Marisha and inthered like this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

The virus is still there and the R number can only increase in the short term. With pubs, shops etc now returning to "normality" that's understandable.

Open windows, wear a face mask and don't wander round the classroom. That's about it unless I'm missing something.

The air quality in some schools is appalling, especially the new builds. Air flow is very poor, which will probably help the virus party like it's 2099.

Marisha likes this.
  4. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I have former colleagues working in a new build school where some of the classrooms have no exterior windows at all. I'm hoping that no one will be expected to use those rooms in the short term.

alexmurraybrown and bigjimmy2 like this.
  5. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

This is a serious but perhaps ignorant question.

Does heavy rain wash an airborne virus to the ground? Similar to the way heavy rain can clear haze/smog? In other words, during a pandemic, does have rain make it safer to go outside?

6. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

7. inthered

Marisha likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I would imagine rain would take the virus, or at least a lot of it, out of the air but am not certain.

9. inthered

Maybe best not to lick your shoes as well.

Effinbankers likes this.
  10. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Especially whilst you're wearing them.

Marisha, Effinbankers and inthered like this.
  11. alanuk

alanuk New commenter

One of my friends who is an EIS rep in another school, along with a group of other reps in his cluster have raised this with the EIS and that the majority of classrooms do not meet the minimum standards for ventilation and air exchange and new builds/open plan schools etc. Apparently the EIS have said that effective ventilation will be included in their assessments/agreements before schools reopen.

Marisha, bigjimmy2 and inthered like this.
  12. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I don't hold that adequate ventilation or not will actually do anything. Any time it was raised at previous schools I've been in there was a lot of bluster but nothing actually happened. Here's hoping.

PS I returned to my room from a last-period yuftie and, stepping from the corridor in to the room, you could actually taste the difference in the air! I thought, eff this, I'm just going to use it as an excuse to not go to the dept DM, and I didn't. Pretty pathetic, huh?!

Marisha likes this.
  13. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

I've not heard 'yuftie' since I was at Jordanhill...

Round our way, they're just 'please-takes'. Much more boring.

My old classroom had no windows and a ventilation system which drew in outside air. It could not be adjusted by the teacher. (Twice a year, someone was brought in to adjust the flow.)

I kept logging official complaints - the school was close to an industrial estate, and I'd find myself suffering from sore eyes and so on from time to time, depending on what was being incerated (I presume).

I was just informed that everything was within legal limits.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  14. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

but it is a total myth that schools are fully functioning in Sweden. They have been called "open" but have in reality been taking no more students that our schools have been, while ours have been called "closed"

Marisha and alexmurraybrown like this.
  15. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, som people think the virus lies around on the ground, as schools in parts of Germany don't allow anyone in without disinfecting their shoes

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  16. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Research on guinea pigs concluded that temperature and air humidity are the deciding factors on airborne transmission. Cold, dry air favours transmission whilst 20 degrees C and 80% humidity stops it altogether. I bought a humidifier to see how close I could get to the ideal, but found it very difficult to maintain, even in a small room but worth considering in small communal areas / corridors where social distancing is difficult.

17. Hubris

Hubris New commenter

Seen this from the Beeb this am?

Ministers are planning for the reopening of Scotland's schools in full from 11 August, without any physical distancing restrictions in place. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-53419843

EIS take on this, anyone?

alexmurraybrown likes this.
  18. grayst

grayst New commenter

19. Hubris

Hubris New commenter

Marisha and alexmurraybrown like this.
  20. inthered

It’d be nice to see a ‘teachers’ rights’ story that didn’t paint us as work-shy layabouts. Here’s hoping the unions have a grasp of the actual science since I’m pretty sure political decisions about getting all kids back in all at once with no measures in place don’t take much cognisance of that if it’s inconvenient.

Marisha and MilkyBar Kid like this.