1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aerosol transmission of Covid-19

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Theoretically, no.

Risk assessments should be done by the employer for all employees. Most will just be a general all-staff one, such as ‘don’t stand on tables to put up displays’ etc, but specific ones need to be carried out where a teacher’s circumstances warrant it, such as a pregnant teacher in a class with kids who are known to become violent etc.

In practice teachers as humans are often overlooked. Remember the teacher who was raped by a pupil because she hadn’t been told it wasn’t safe to be alone in her class? The risk assessments should have identified that female teachers were at risk in that school, but even if that had been done it clearly wasn’t acted upon.

Every employer in the country has a duty of care towards its staff.

agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have been told that we may wear masks if we wish to. I will try it and see how it feels.

agathamorse and Ellakits like this.
  3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

And is your school providing these?

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Regarding schools in London / the SE having good supplies of cleaning materials: anecdotally the cleaning at the school I worked at prior to retirement was poor at the best of times. This was partly because they struggled to get cleaners locally - cost of living being a factor. Many a morning I’d find my room hadn’t been done so I’d clean the desks and hoover myself. I doubt things will be any better these days.

agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

No. Risk assessments are for the heath and safety of all users of an environment

6. moscowbore

Why would you choose to wear a mask?

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Research into mask wearing before Covid-19 showed that, outside a clinical environment, it was not beneficial and could be harmful. People wear their mask incorrectly, they touch it, they reuse it, they wear it for too long, they don't wash or dispose of it safely. All of a sudden this has been swept away by the 'it must be better then nothing' brigade. I've still not seen any proper research into mask wearing by the public that has had a different conclusion. Plenty of anecdotes, certainly, or the repurposing of studies into clinical settings mask wearing. Or bad cases of correlation being taken as causation.

It's become almost normal to see people walking around with their mask round their neck. Presumably when they get to the shop they lift the mask up, with their possibly contaminated hands, and put the now possibly contaminated mask into exactly the right place for any virus on it to get into their nose or mouth.

In Boots some off the pharmacy staff had got fed up with their masks and had theny round their necks. One had hers incorrectly adjusted so it kept falling off, and she had to keep putting it back on, as she told me with a giggle. And presumably she'ed been trained in the right way to use it!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Actually no, the scientific advice has changed as the way Covid 19 (a new disease, remember) has become better understood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52200989

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Masks are designed for a person with a head that is nothing like mine. The one-size-fits-all (yeh right) blue ones I find suffocating. I've been wearing cloth ones, but either they come too far up my face (I have a small head) and poke under my eyes or the elastic is too loose and they keep falling down. I've tried knotting the elastic but it hurts behind my ears. I am a delicate little petal. I've tried child ones but they aren't deep enough to cover nose and mouth effectively. I can well see why people fiddle with them all the time.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is very much not that now. Quite the opposite.

11. Doitforfree

I'm not convinced. Lots of people have said they've changed their minds but not because they are citing any new research. I'll wear a mask if it's the law but I'll spend even less and shop less because people in masks behave carelessly and I don't want to be around them. If mask wearing becomes compulsory in shops then we need a huge education campaign about wearing them. Given that even shop staff, who have presumably been given strict instructions, can't follow the most basic rules about masks, what hope is there for the general population? At least 'keep away from other people' is a pretty easy rule to understand.

agathamorse and ajrowing like this.
  12. Doitforfree

I spent ages yesterday trying to get my mask right in case it becomes compulsory to wear them in shops. My head is too big and I have too much hair so I can't tie it. I had to put on elastic instead bit that's really uncomfortable. I don't want to buy throw away ones but maybe destroying the environment doesn't matter any more. Using and throwing away stuff, and driving everywhere suddenly seems to be completely acceptable.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Apparently seen in a shop:

[​IMG]

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

15. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

16. bombaysapphire

I don't know. We have broken up for the holidays. I don't expect more information until nearer September.

If everyone wore them the risk of transmission would be reduced. I would prefer everyone to wear one if we have to spend time inside. I have found some that are comfortable for half an hour. I will try them at work to see if they are manageable for a longer period.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  17. moscowbore

My point is that wearing a mask will not protect you from infection. If all staff and students wear masks then infection will be reduced.
    My wife has banned me from roaming at the tv when a scientist says that groups of people in close contact are very risky.

18. Doitforfree

If I had to go into school I'd want one of those respirator hoods that they have at Southampton hospital. None of this relying on other people, many of whom seem to have no idea about keeping away from me, and plenty of whom freely cough and sneeze. I saw a man in Morrisons wipe his hand across his nose and then lean right over the counter. The lady serving him had to keep asking him to keep behind the screen but I wish she'd also told him to stand back.

19. bombaysapphire

Everyone wearing a mask would reduce the risk. To achieve close to that I need to wear one. I will attempt to do so.

20. Doitforfree

'It is important to know that the evidence of the benefit of
    using a face covering to protect others is weak and the
    effect is likely to be small, therefore face coverings are
    not a replacement for the other ways of managing risk,
    including minimising time spent in contact, using fixed teams
    and partnering for close-up work, and increasing hand and
    surface washing.' This for me is the crucial paragraph, because I observe people wearing face masks and ignoring other precautions. If face masks are to be of additional benefit then we need proper, well-disseminated information about their use, as the report clearly states several times. Currently some people seem to think it's wear a face mask OR do all the other things. As well as all the mistakes made in the wearing and touching of them.

My mask fits nice and tight. I can hardly breathe in it. Which I suppose is the idea, because if it were easy to breathe then that would mean the protection was lower. But it makes it pretty unpleasant to wear.

agathamorse likes this.