1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aerosol transmission of Covid-19

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jul 8, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That's fine - thank you.
    It still doesn't address my questions - and to be honest, isn't hugely practical in day-to-day life.

My hairdresser is deaf. She relies a lot on lip reading. So although I wore a mask to the salon, I had to remove it to speak to her. I did do a lot of nodding & shaking of head, and I don't go in for chit-chat at the salon anyway.

But in order to colour and style my hair, she had to move the straps to the back of my neck and clip them together. Then I was told I could take it off when under heat.

I still don't get why touching the outside of a mask which is meant to prevent droplets getting through to the outside is any more dangerous than touching your other clothes.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

You have to remember that you don't get infected by having the virus on your hands, only if it gets in your nose/mouth. So if you are not infected, putting on a mask and removing a mask gives a chance for any virus particles on your hands to get onto your face (so wash your hands first and avoid touching the parts near your nose/mouth).

Since many people appear asymptomatic though, you have to also consider that you may be unknowingly infected and so the mask may be full of virus particles. Touching the mask will contaminate your hands which could contaminate other surfaces if you don't wash them after. As for inside/outside of the mask, the virus is too small to be stopped and will pass through the fabric, contaminating both sides. The mask will stop droplets but when the droplets are absorbed by the mask, the virus will permeate both sides. Neither side should be considered safe.

You might not wash your hands every time you touch other items of clothing for two reasons; 1) the item if clothing is unlikely to have as high a concentration of virus particles as a mask. 2) you don't have to touch your face to remove a coat. However, you should wash your hands before eating or any other hand to mouth activity.

I'm happy you're confused(!) and didn't consider your response argumentative... I was more concerned that I was being condescending!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

TBH droplet transmission is why we've had the 2m social distancing.
    I don't think any of this is new, and I'm not sure it is particularly helpful either.
    Keep away from crowds, especially in enclosed places. Wash your hands. Use your common sense!

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is new. This is not spread via droplets.

This is virus particles lingering in the air. It's quite a change if adopted by the WHO and could have a major impact on mask wearing.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

One of the sources I was reading about this issue suggested that if the suspension theory is true, there is unlikely to be enough PPE in the world to do much about it.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

What, like a classroom ? Crowds of people from 30 different households in crowded badly ventilated rooms. And no PPE apparently.

7. Scintillant

Yes, very much so. I'm looking forward to how this is spun...

8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I am no longer a teacher - I just happen to know (from friends who are) that no provision is yet being made for: extra cleaning, hand sanitisers, masks, etc. Perhaps it's just a London/South of England thing where it happens.

9. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

The guidance for schools regarding distancing and mask wearing will have to change.

LiamD, agathamorse and Scintillant like this.
  10. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

You forgot to say to also use your instincts.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Yes, stay alert.

agathamorse and ajrowing like this.
  12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Staying awake might prove tricky - given the restrictions imposed on classrooms and what can and cannot be taught. I suspect that discipline will be buoyant (no coridoors in use / no Sin Bin).

agathamorse likes this.
  13. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Was driving along yesterday and one of those electronic sign boards said that I should "be a ware", just when I was getting the hang of being "a lert".

agathamorse likes this.
  14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

And no changes planned for staff work rooms. We asked site manager today who shrugged her shoulders and said 'well, everyone's expected back'. Contrast this with my friend who works in a media company and they are now beginning a phased return this week. No people facing each other, perspex screens installed between desks, etc. We also heard, but unconfirmed, that shielded staff are all expected back too.

LiamD, agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its a shame that ill disciplined students can't be sent home to just do remote learning until January.

agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

That's exactly what ought to happen as soon as they kick off. It's going to be a most unpleasant year.

Amazed to hear some posters saying that their schools have cleaning, sanitation gel, masks, screens etc.

17. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

What about deaf people? Masks with transparent sections fog up. And how many teachers have said they won't go along with 'normal' return in Sept? I agree it's dangerous, but I'm concerned nobody's challenging it (I don't work in a 'typical' school now).

18. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

I’ve just posted this in another thread, so forgive me for reposting, but I thought this was relevant here too.

Scientific evidence is clear: Social distancing and wearing masks help prevent people from spreading COVID-19, and masks also protect those who wear them, two UC Davis Health experts said on UC Davis LIVE: COVID-19.

A range of new research on face coverings shows that the risk of infection to the wearer is decreased by 65 percent, said Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital.

“On the issue of masks, I’d like to restart — because we’ve learned a lot,” Blumberg said. “We’ve learned more due to research and additional scientific evidence. What we know now is that masks work and are very important.”

“Everyone should wear a mask,” Blumberg said. “People who say, ‘I don’t believe masks work,’ are ignoring scientific evidence. It’s not a belief system. It’s like saying, ‘I don’t believe in gravity.’

“If you’re going past someone very quickly in a grocery store,” Blumberg said, “the risk of getting infected is very low. It’s really lingering and talking that does it.”

Ristenpart added: “It’s really important to know that just because you’re standing 6 feet or 7 feet away, if you have a prolonged conversation, there is still a risk. These aerosols can be carried along on weak air currents.”

Both scientists said the evidence has become even more powerful for wearing masks and social distancing. For instance, research shows that about 30 percent of infections are caused by people who do not know they have COVID-19 because they are asymptomatic or their symptoms have not appeared yet.

“So we don’t know who might spread it,” Blumberg said. “We do know social distancing reduces the risk of transmitting the virus by 90 percent, and wearing masks decreases the risk by 65 percent.

“Wearing a mask affects everyone,” he said. “If you care about your family or friends, or if you care about your community, wear a mask.”

https://www.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/news/your-mask-cuts-own-risk-65-percent/

Teachers in the UK are being told not to wear masks.
    There will be no social distancing in schools.
    Pupils will be encouraged to all face the front of the room, facing directly towards the teacher.

19. Scintillant

This will have to be incorporated into risk assessments I would imagine.

Otherwise. there could be a lot of trouble ahead.

If I'm going to be in "as normal", I'll be wanting a mask.

agathamorse, Ellakits and Catgirl1964 like this.
  20. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I might well be being cynical...but aren't risk assessments carried out for the safety of children only.

agathamorse likes this.