1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AED 21000 in UAE without housing

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by musician_rules_ok, Feb 20, 2016.

1. musician_rules_ok

musician_rules_ok New commenter

Is 21000 AED per month in the UAE lots of money without housing? When I was there in 2007 I earned 11000 per month with free accommodation. How much are studios to rent then? And what deposit do you need upfront? I heard you have to pay the whole year upfront but don't know how true this is.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Absolutely not!

You may, if you are lucky, get something for around 60,000 aed per year, in a cheaper area nearer Sharjah, but more likely to be paying nearer to 90,000 aed+. On top of this is the fact that rents rise most years whereas pay doesn't always.

I don't think deposits are that big, You will need to pay 'up front' with post dated cheques. Most times this is 2 cheques to cover 6 months each or 4 cheques to cover each quarter. This means you will pay either 6 months up front or 3 months up front. Less likely is payment by monthly cheques.

The biggest problem with this is that you cannot predict what future rents might be or whether your landlord may ask you to move out after a year.

I am assuming that you are single. Top paying schools will give you about 18,000 dirhams per month salary and an accommodation allowance of around 90,000 per year.

3. musician_rules_ok

So about 50,000 will go on rent then if you're paying 5000 a month rent. That leaves about 160,000 a year salary or £30k. Mind you it's living in the Northern Emirates. Not much to do there I guess but I haven't been there, only Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

So which Emirate are you looking at? have you lived overseas/in the Middle East before? if it is one of the smaller Emirates then rent will likely be cheaper than Dubai. Lifestyle will also be a lot quieter and potentially boring?

5. musician_rules_ok

I've lived on a compound in Abu Dhabi. The compound was about 20KM away from AD city centre so taking taxis was quite frequent. I worked at the university of Abu Dhabi. Yes it could be quite boring living in the Northern Emirates and I'm not sure how I would write 4 cheques out. I'd have to open a bank account I guess again. I'd prefer to work in Dubai if anywhere but there's only drinking in hotels to do in the Emirates. Not much else to do