1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advised to leave teaching

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by NewStrings, May 6, 2011.

1. Just been told, after a term of hell, that I've got two months to find a new career before they fail me. I'm devastated. especially because I've really busted my gut to do everything they asked and all my observations have varied between satisfactory and good, despite half of them being unannounced observations that leave me perpetually stressed and on the verge of constant panic attacks. The reasoning is that one project, that one year group do for 15-18 lessons, has failed. It did fail, but they told me to design it while I was still an AT and I was given barely any support except lesson observations, which only focused on my teaching and not the project itself. In fact, nobody even looked at the product results until February. Everything else I'm doing is good and all my year 11s got A*-C on their coursework. even in the project, they learned all the knowledge, they learned the skills, they just didn't put them together properly to get a product to take home.

I can't believe it :( I'm failing because of one project. What bites more is that I was happy with what the students learned - they could tell me some good stuff, and they could ALL use the software I asked them to quite effectively. Just failed in execution at the end.

And now, apparently, that makes me bad enough to be banned from teaching for LIFE. Despite the fact that I've improved every week and that every observation is satisfactory minimum.

I've contacted my union but I'm in an academy and it didn't work before. I just don't know what to do :(