1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advised cholesterol limit is now 4.0.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lindenlea, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Had to go back to get "diet information" from the nurse after a cholesterol test came back at 4.9.
    She said anything over 4.0 is coming back from the lab flagged up as a problem. The advised limit used to be 5.0.
    I really can't do any more with my diet - butter only at Xmas and cheese every Preston guild and I've forgotten what cake is!!
    Everything else is OK - blood pressure is low so I'm telling myself it's fine. Any comments welcome.

2. Call me cynical if you like but I bet the majority of us weren't even aware of our cholesterol levels a decade or so ago. Certainly my Mum and Dad's generation lived long without cholesterol checks...and they ate bread and dripping, didn't have olive oil - lard sufficed- and they served it to their children too! Lots of food was fried before we became more health and diet conscious.
    I suspect those companies producing Statins have encouraged doctors to lower the limit. I wonder why?
    There is a whole new industry called 'pharmecuticals' out there and as long as GPs keep getting such (bogus) health alerts, their profits will be massive. Statins are given out like Smarties now.
    Go online. In the USA where they have used statins for longer there are cases galore regarding compensation. Many would say statins are the work of the Devil. Concerned doctors will tell you we NEED cholesterol for good muscle function...and given the pumping heart is a muscle....
    Strange isn't it, that cholesterol is now a baddy...
    Same as the silly BMI guides re body fat and weight. All the doing of insurance companies I suspect...

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yes, the diet advice was produced by Flora - no surprise there! Thanks.

4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

Is that maybe because heart disease runs in your family? Mine is 5.0 but I was told that would only be considered to be a problem if one or other of my parents (or siblings) had suffered from a heart condition. They took the proportion of HDL into consideration as well before making a judgment.

If it needs to be as low as that and you can't do any more with diet, what do they suggest? Medication?

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I know a bit about cholesterol...
    I would cut out dairy fat (which sounds as if you've done already) and <u>up</u> the amount of vegetable/ nut / seed oil you are eating.
    Your body will make cholesterol anyway so it needs a variety from its diet before it will stop making it (if that makes sense?).
    Olive oil has been linked to helping to lower cholesterol levels.

6. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

7. The level is heavily "advised" by the makers of statins.
    The main (though granted not only) effect of exercise on statins is felt if the exercise makes you lose weight - if you were overweight to start with. If you're of normal weight and eat a diet low in satfat, then it's far more likely that cholesterol in excess of the presently favoured level has been put there by your own body. You can't whittle it down to nothing - your liver will maintain a genetically-determined level whatever you do with your diet.
    Cholesterol rises with age anyway. Because it's so general a rise, I think it must confer some benefit somewhere along the line, or doesn't but it doesn't matter because you've already passed on your DNA before it kills you. And remember, cholesterol is only a statistical risk indicator. It's not a death sentence.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks for your comments. No family history, loads of exercise, can't/won't do anything more with my diet - I'm just going to live with it. Entropy eh! ( I learnt a new word yesterday)