1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

advise on best route into teaching for an ex serviceman/woman.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Middlemarch, Apr 27, 2011.

  1. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    You need a degree to be a teacher in a mantained secondary school (you must have at least grade C in maths and English also). There's very little 'sports science' taught in secondary schools, by the way - a lot of PE is taught, but there is also a lot of competition for jobs in this subject.
    Contact the Teacher Training Agency for best advice.
  2. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

  3. To gain qualified teacher status you must first have a degree. The current government has said that they would like to provide accelerated routes to a degree and qualified teacher status for thoise in the armed forces, but as yet there are no published plans or timescales. As well as a degree you will need GCSE maths and English grade A* - C (or equivalent).
    It may be possible to gain employment as an instructor in a school, paid, but not at the qualified rate, but for this to happen you need to offer a skill that the school needs but for which they have been unable to find a qualified teacher.

Share This Page