1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advise needed please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by skybloo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. skybloo

skybloo New commenter

Hi all, I'm after some advise. I have been teaching for 9 years and during this time I have had 2 children, 3 & 6, and changed jobs 3 times. 2 different schools in my first 2 years of teaching. I now only teach for 4 days and still get ppa time, which I am extremely grateful for as I then only teach 3 1/2 days. I am now feeling the pressure of data, results and trying to balance home and school life. Obviously trying to be the best mum and trying to be a good teacher and doing what I need to do for school but not just at school at home as well. Now the government advise for schools is the longer you have been teaching the better you should be. Which is understandable, but you can not always be an outstanding teacher with a busy home life as well. My husband is very understanding with regards to work load but he can see the pressures of my job are getting to me and obviously there is more to life than your job - even if it is teaching! What I would like to know is...

Do I quit a job that is a constant source of work?
    What are the pros and cons of supply vs permanent employment?
    Any other advise for a very nervous, lacking if confidence teacher.

Thanks

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Advice, not advise.

3. skybloo

skybloo New commenter

Thanks so helpful.

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

If it's getting on top of you either look for another job or take a break. I stayed at home until my youngest (I have 3) started school - almost 2 years later I am still looking for the job the suits not just me, but the rest if the family too. I find it an incredibly hard circle to square because, to be honest, part time classroom teacher is hard hard hard. The last 2 jobs I had before this one were more inconvenient time wise, but enjoyable, and this one is easier on the timing, but I'm unhappy in the work situation. So, I'm looking for a job that combines to two. I suggest, in the interests of your family, you do the same. You only have one life, and your family is only young once.

5. I did suppy when i was in a similar situation - young family and what i would say is this -
    Pros - can take time off when chn unwell, go to any events at chn's school without having to seek permission or feel guilty. Can take additional time off if needed simply to have a break. Keep up to date with what's going in on schools, ensure you have a good up to date reference for when the time comes. Get to know what a range of schools are like in your local area - again for future reference. usually have a few days or even a week to get up to date after school holidays before gon back to work.
    Cons - no regular income - it can be very bitty especially at first - so you need to know you are not too dependent on the money. Again at first you will tend to get the more challenging schools and it can be hard to get into the 'better' ones. Some of the challenging schools are that way because of the regular use of supply that they can't keep so it's a vicious circle for them. It is always hard work - even the 'easy' schools tend to be harder when there is supply cover - chn being chn try it on. you need to be very flexible - schools have a tendence to book you for year 3 for example then when you arrive it could be year 6 or year1 or maybe half a day here and half a day there.
    I'm not trying to put you off - i loved doing supply - after a time i was a regular in some schools - if you like a school go to the office and ask if they have any more bookings for you and offeer your number. If they like you they will rebook or contact you later.
    Hope this helps you dicide

6. In my school we rarely use supply teachers any more. We have a few part-timers who cover classes if needed. A few years ago, supply teachers were a regular fixture in our school but now we just don't need them. If we do see them, they usually tell us how tricky it is to get work at the moment.

7. Well apparently so are you, as I don't see you advising the OP on helpful courses of action.
    OP, i would say that if you are really starting to feel the strain, and its having a negative impact upon your family life, then step away. Be there for your own family, and perhaps come back into teaching in a few years when your own children don't need you quite so much.

8. skybloo

skybloo New commenter

hi all,
    Thank you all for the supportive comments and advice. I have had a hard decision to make as I love the school so much, 7 years there! I still love teaching and i'm going to carry on with this. I handed in my notice this week and have shed a few tears! My notice came as a shock to the HT! i still keep thinking if it is the best thing I have done. I think it is in the best interest of my health and my families that I step away from the class room teacher role. It is going to be tough at the end of the summer. I better stock up on tissues!
    thanks all
    [​IMG]

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Good for you. Take some time to be with your little ones, and think about what's best for you all. All the best, c_a xxx