1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advise needed on Year 1 Science topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mmc39, Jan 2, 2011.

1. My class are doing the topic of toys this half term. I try to link QCA Science topics with my central topic.
    I am undecided at the moment whether to link the topic of Materials so they could think about what materials are used to make toys. Or to link pushes and pulls so they could investigate which toys are pushed or pulled.
    Any advice appreciated on this.

2. porker

porker New commenter

Think about what other topics you will be doing later in the year - which science strand fits in best with those? It maybe the choice is quite easy after all!
    Personally I like to look at how toys move because it is so interactive for the children...

3. Thank you for that. I have decided to do pushes and pulls because as you say it is interactive and I can link materials to the topic of Homes later on.

4. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

I am doing a topic on toys (cross curricular) and have gone with Pulls and Pushes for Science, then to link in with DT we will be making kites.

5. What a brilliant idea - how are you making the kites?

6. Thank you for that - I will look that up :)