1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

advise? chickenpox at school

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by liz_obrien, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi
    Am currently 22 1/2 weeks pregnant and got into school this morning (Monday) to be told that a child in my class is off with chickenpox. I have never had it (although both my sisters have) and am concerned about what to do.I know that it is more dangerous in earlier stages of pregnancy but from what I've read tonight it's still something to be avoided.
    I checked online and phoned doctor for advise this morning. They are going to test some of the blood samples taken earlier in my pregnancy for immunity and get back to me on Wednesday. Don't know what to do in the mean time regarding work. Head told me that she expected me to carry coming into work and doctor said as long as the infected child isn't in school I should be ok. My main conern is that if one child in my class has it then how many of the others could be infected? Should I stay away to try to minimise the chance of infection, or is it too late now anyway?
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks

2. Hi
    Am currently 22 1/2 weeks pregnant and got into school this morning (Monday) to be told that a child in my class is off with chickenpox. I have never had it (although both my sisters have) and am concerned about what to do.I know that it is more dangerous in earlier stages of pregnancy but from what I've read tonight it's still something to be avoided.
    I checked online and phoned doctor for advise this morning. They are going to test some of the blood samples taken earlier in my pregnancy for immunity and get back to me on Wednesday. Don't know what to do in the mean time regarding work. Head told me that she expected me to carry coming into work and doctor said as long as the infected child isn't in school I should be ok. My main conern is that if one child in my class has it then how many of the others could be infected? Should I stay away to try to minimise the chance of infection, or is it too late now anyway?
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks

3. hmm not very sensitive of your head.... sounds like they wont like you taking time off "just in case" and your GP hasn't told you to stay off either so on shaky ground there. the riskiest time is before the spots appear so they are right, if the child is off then i suppose the risk is almost eliminated.
    however, if you don't feel up to going in, you could always be off sick with something else - 24 hour tummy bug, migraine etc....

4. The HPA website has good information on infectious diseases.

5. Hi liz
    It seems a lot of schools just care about money and not the welfare of their staff. Read my thread which should be on this first page or the top of second page called 'slap cheek syndrome' I've written about my experience on there and it's similar to your situation as slap cheek is seen the same as chicken pox. Not sure whether you have heard of this syndrome but i've been given a doctors note to be off work for a week until I get my immunity blood test results. Fingers crossed tomorrow as the note only takes me up until tomorrow.
    If I don't get results back tomorrow, I WON'T be going back to school, as I'm not risking my baby's health by being at school until I know i'm safe. The school has no right too put you in this danger, especially as this is the advice from the GP AND the midwife.
    Read the thread it might help you. I'd go back to doctors and ask for doctors note until you get results.