1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advices for a career change to SEN teaching?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Jtkyla, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm seeking some advices as I feel really stuck...will try and make it short!

I have a Master in Clinical Psychology & Psychopathology (obtained in France in 2006 - slightly different than here in the UK). After graduating, I moved to London and have been working in recruitment, HR and Learning & Development since then (it was complicated and time consuming at the time to try and do a conversion to be a psychologist and also back then, I had no idea whether I wanted to become a psychologist or not...).

Now I'm unhappy in my job, feel like I haven't achieved what I should have. I've always wanted to work with children, and always been interested in Special Needs, Autism etc. (hence my studies I assume!), so I had in mind a "perfect job" but didn't quite know what it would correspond in real life until today when I found out about SEN teachers and coordinators.

Now I have several obstacles...and questions!
    1. Apparently you need a "normal" teaching qualification, but I'm not sure I can face teaching mainstream...
    2. Is there a lot of jobs for SEN teachers?
    3. Although I have a Master in Psychology and experience through internships in Special Needs and various mental illnesses, it was a while ago (graduated over 4 years ago)...how much could this be an advantage or disadvantage?
    4. How much does it cost to train as a teacher in London, I believe you can get paid while training but is it enough to live in London? Or do you have to take on extra job?
    5. As I'm not from the UK (I'm French national), would I have to start all over again abroad? Or is the teaching qualification recognised?

A lot of questions I know...but I really could do with some guidance...been lost and confused for so long, can't keep like that and starting to hate my current job :(

Thanks a lot!

2. Hi,

I'm seeking some advices as I feel really stuck...will try and make it short!

I have a Master in Clinical Psychology & Psychopathology (obtained in France in 2006 - slightly different than here in the UK). After graduating, I moved to London and have been working in recruitment, HR and Learning & Development since then (it was complicated and time consuming at the time to try and do a conversion to be a psychologist and also back then, I had no idea whether I wanted to become a psychologist or not...).

Now I'm unhappy in my job, feel like I haven't achieved what I should have. I've always wanted to work with children, and always been interested in Special Needs, Autism etc. (hence my studies I assume!), so I had in mind a "perfect job" but didn't quite know what it would correspond in real life until today when I found out about SEN teachers and coordinators.

Now I have several obstacles...and questions!
    1. Apparently you need a "normal" teaching qualification, but I'm not sure I can face teaching mainstream...
    2. Is there a lot of jobs for SEN teachers?
    3. Although I have a Master in Psychology and experience through internships in Special Needs and various mental illnesses, it was a while ago (graduated over 4 years ago)...how much could this be an advantage or disadvantage?
    4. How much does it cost to train as a teacher in London, I believe you can get paid while training but is it enough to live in London? Or do you have to take on extra job?
    5. As I'm not from the UK (I'm French national), would I have to start all over again abroad? Or is the teaching qualification recognised?

A lot of questions I know...but I really could do with some guidance...been lost and confused for so long, can't keep like that and starting to hate my current job :(

Thanks a lot!

3. acthell

acthell New commenter

As far as I know, you would. To teach in a secondary school unless you find a school that is looking for GTPs they will require QTS. Even as a learning support teacher you usually have mainstream commitments and they can't be avoided unless you go into a special setting and they definitely require QTS.

2. Is there a lot of jobs for SEN teachers? Erm.... a fair need but like any other market it's shrinking (or appears to be) due to what I perceive as people not wanting to move in the current economic climate and heads reducing staff and making SEN staff teach more mainstream - certainly that's what is happening where I am.

Wouldn't like to say. Likely an advantage but without QTS uncertain.

4. How much does it cost to train as a teacher in London, I believe you can get paid while training but is it enough to live in London? Or do you have to take on extra job? Erm as far as I'm aware teacher training is like anyother degree now - you pay to do it.

5. As I'm not from the UK (I'm French national), would I have to start all over again abroad? Or is the teaching qualification recognised? QTS is recognised elsewhere but dependent on their rules. GTP isn't recognised everywhere but again I don't know the ins and outs.

Good luck in your decision,

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

5. Have you thought of Educational Psycology? Not sure about what you need first though.
    Good Luck