1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by shinynewteacher, Sep 11, 2020.

1. shinynewteacher

shinynewteacher New commenter

Hi all. Probably another post you've read before.

I'm in my final term as an NQT and I am finding it so hard. It's my second term at this school, first was somewhere else. I've received no support or guidance and I feel so down. I have asked for support but I receive none. I'm coming home with headaches and crying. I wake up with a sick feeling in my stomach that lasts all day. I just don't think I want to be there.

Question is: My contract is temp and is a 4 week notice period. Is it awful for me to hand it in and leave at October half term? I really can't cope at the minute. Any advice welcome please.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Do what you need to, for your health.

You don't owe the school anything - if they valued you, you wouldn't be on a temp contract.

Perhaps see a doctor, too?

agathamorse and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'm sorry you are in this situation. Resign, make a formal complaint to the appropriate people and begin your new life. A school that ignores an NQT or indeed any teacher is not a place to be.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. shinynewteacher

Thank you

I've had no support, no observations or meetings and it's so difficult. I constantly feel I'm not doing it right. I can't cope any more. My first school was so much better and easier.

5. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I supervised a student once, one of the 'I've wanted to be a teacher since I was 6' brigade. She was wonderful. She got a job and I heard from her at Xmas. Hated her new school, hated the job, was planning on quitting. The story was, she'd been given the class nobody else would take. I advised her to stick it out then find a better school with a better head. She did more than that, she lasted to the end of the year when the head suggested she move up with the class (this is primary).
    The moral is, don't let one bad school ruin your career. Do what you feel you can, whether that's stick it out, resign with notice, or whatever. But you know this isn't what all schools are like.
    Find a better school and put it down to experience.
    Good luck.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some excellent advice has already been given. I usually scribble things on the "Teaching Overseas" forum, but I have heard quite a few horror stories about NQTs having a tough time. Although you would think that most schools would bend over backwards to be kind and to help NQTs in their first year of teaching, the sad truth seems to be that there is a "sink or swim" attitude, so you had better get used to the deep end of the pool.

I remember when I was teaching at a school in Saudi Arabia. Teaching (or trying to teach) teenage Saudi boys has to be the worst experience of my teaching career. Somehow I lasted until the end of the year and I was able to move on to somewhere better.

peter12171 likes this.
  7. shinynewteacher

Thank you. I absolutely love teaching but I feel that I'm drowning at the minute.

8. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Well, drowning is something we've all felt at some point; especially as an NQT; and probably more so than ever during coronavirus... Do you see what I'm trying to say?
    I know teachers with 20 years experience who feel they are 'drowning'. I wonder if the people who should be helping you are also drowning?
    Can you try to concentrate on the main part of your role? Teaching. Cut away everything else or give it minimal time. Concentrate on teaching your lessons and a (little bit) of marking. Everything else, ignore.
    Are you primary or secondary?