1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adrixargentina, Aug 18, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

I've posted this in another thread but no one answered. Does anyone know anything about the brand of schools in Dubai that share their name with a famous hotel in Singapore?? Or shall I just join the ISR... Is it worth it,?

2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Joining ISR is definitely worth it.

3. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

It's worth it for the fun reviews. It's only £25 but I wish they would actually show this clearly on the Join page! You have to fill out the details to get to a page which tells you how much.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

For the entertainment if nothing else. Throw some huge handfuls of salt at whatever you read there.

5. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

When i had a small interest in a school in Africa I had little knowledge. I perused their website, found a list of staff and pm'd some on FB. Turns out, the monthly salary was a bit unreliable and the mood was a bit negative as a result.

When interviewed, I asked about the regularity of salary payment. Went a bit quiet, ha. They then proceeded to reject me, which did not bother me one bit, only to come back to me a week later and offer me a post. Bit of a shambles so naturally I gave it a miss.

6. adrixargentina

Is it common practice to try and email staff then?

7. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

One would have thought not and most school websites should not really be naming nor placing pictures of their staff on them in these times for security reasons.

In my case, the information was available and I used it. Most people are on social media somewhere or other.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

The Board of Directors has nobody with a second of education experience - I'll let you decide on whether that's good or not.....

adrixargentina likes this.
  9. adrixargentina

Do you have first hand experience? Just wonder whether it's even worth applying. I think the post would be for the World one.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

I tracked down current employees of schools in Vietnam that I was applying for on LinkedIn and sent them messages.

I had some uncertainties and wanted to know the reality.

Mr_Frosty likes this.