1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Shanitilayna, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Hi everyone. I'm in need of some advice. I am currently working 4 week days as a financial assistant and volunteering in an amazing and supportive Primary school for 1 day in Year 6. I have a BA in Photography. I'm wanting to make a career change to become a TA with hopes of eventually becoming a qualified Teacher when my youngest son is in secondary school (he's 7). Any courses I have seen need more than one day a week at the school and I'm unsure about which level to start at. I'm hoping some of you lovely people can give me some idea about levels and volumes of work load so I can make an informed choice as to whether I need to try and negotiate a reduced work pattern or possibly make a full leap into volunteering fulltime while I study. The school I am currently at will support me with any studies I do for whichever period of time I need. Thanks in advance xx

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

Hi Shanitilayna, you are halfway there with an amazing school who are keen to support you! As you already have a degree and some volunteering experience (in the tough world of Year 6), I think you should be thinking about a Level 3. Contact your LEA to find out if they offer an NVQ 3 in supporting teaching and learning (think that's what it's called now) and if they would accept a school volunteer on the training. Also contact your local FE college, they may offer level 3. Another thing you could do is find out which TAs at the school have level 3 and talk to them. Where did they do their training? A couple of years TA experience will help you decide if this is the career path for you; with your degree, you would then be able to apply for Schools Direct or Teach First. Best of luck!