1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by peanutelle, May 5, 2012.

1. If you have been working at a school for a year or so and want to change your
    role due to vacany being available when you write your letter to the head how do you refer to them eg , first name only , or mr / mrs harry taylor / mr / mrs taylor ! do you write your letter in a formal or informal way?

2. If you have been working at a school for a year or so and want to change your
    role due to vacany being available when you write your letter to the head how do you refer to them eg , first name only , or mr / mrs harry taylor / mr / mrs taylor ! do you write your letter in a formal or informal way?

3. I'd probably keep it formal tbh

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Even if you are on first-name terms with the head, always write 'Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss _______' in an internal letter of application.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, do be formal.
    And also remember with internal applications: it's all too easy to undersell yourself, because you think: Oh, I don't need to tell them everything that I do - they know all that already!.
    On the contrary, spell it all out, just as though you were applying to a school that didn't know you.
    Good luck!
    N.B. I shall not visit this thread again to answer a new question, so you will need to start a new one with any further questions. This makes sure that other posters know exactly what the questions are that are answered inside the thread.
    And if you want me to answer, then put Dear Theo in the title again!
    Thanks!
    Best wishes