1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mr_free_sat, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Im going to be working with 7 KS2 pupils at KS1 level.The pupils themselves find it hard to concentrate and the first week I want to engage them in activities which will be fun but at the same time give me an indication as to their levels.
    At present I have no idea of abilities and this is my first time working with SEN pupils.
    If anyone has experience or suggestions for activities I can use to see ability I would appreciate it (maths and literacy especially)!
    Many thanks

2. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Hello there,
    First of all: don't panic. This is more common in KS2 than people know about. Do you know the year group of the children? This will influence the advice I can offer you.
    This is a very rough guide for how to manage.
    Maths: It's very easy to use different year groups resources / lesson plans to create activities. While you may have to 'uplevel' the style of activity to meet the age appropriate levels of the children, it's often the way I meet the needs of my very poor Maths group.
    English: I tend to use the Year group units for the planning and then simplify the text, writing, reading and focus areas for the SEN group.
    Within both core areas, there is a key need to work at the level of the children and also to give them a chance to try something new. Here's some examples.
    Maths: instead of just learning about how to use a ruler, I set the group a challenge to use the damn things.
    English: my SEN group still need a lot of language work. We vary the activities, especially role play, reading, adult support and text type so that they get a variety of input.
    When you have a clearer idea of what you will be working with, feel free to message myself on here and I might be able to offer you some more detailed advice.

3. Hi

I use the Primary Resources website as it has levelled worksheets
    http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/maths/maths.htm
    I also have found the Spring Board 7 catch up programme useful - i have a folder but you can find info on the website below.
    http://www.teachfind.com/national-strategies/springboard-7-mathematics-catch-programme-year-7

I have also concentrated on the really basic measuring, number bonds to 20, tables. I have ordered copies of the Framework books that are the very lowest level.
    I haope you find this useful.

4. I think as an initial activity to help to gauge ability I would play "shop." You could incorporate basic counting, putting things in bags of 4, say, and totalling up the number of items altogether, working out the cost of buying more than one item and working out the change according tohow you find their ability.
    For example you might charge 2p for an apple and work out the cost of 4 apples by counting up in 2s et voila you know if they have a basic understanding of the 2 times-table etc.