1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Faldamir12, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Hey all,
    My Year 10's are due to sit their exam next week and I must admit I am really worried because of their attitude and recent performance in their mock exams.
    The class is made up of around 24 pupils and they are all predicted grades of A-C, however I know full well that around half, perhaps even less, will fail to meet what they are predicted. This is due to a range of issues including attendance, poor peformance in other subjects, poor attitude etc and I am concerned that this will look bad on me.
    I can honestly say I have tried absolutely everything with them. I have offered lunchtime revision workshops and no one turned up. I have also offered after school sessions and even offered extra sessions during half term. The ones who did turn up during half term were the ones who were from my fast track GCSE group.

I have made phone calls home, sent letters home, kept those who underperform behind, given past exam papers, differentiated (obviously!) but just feel as though I am banging my head against a brick wall.
    I am so concerned....dreading their exam results if I'm honest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Is this their 'final' exam, or internal school exam based on the GCSE papers?
    I ask because if it's the former, there isn't anything you can do now, surely?

3. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

It is their real exam, however this counts for 50% of their final grade. The other paper will be in year 11

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's a ridiculous situation when their predicted grades are based on achievement levels from years ago and are unrelated to how they are working (or not working!) nearer the exams.
    It amused and annoyed me when told that pupils were recorded on school/college systems as being on track for a Grade C or above at MFL when they hadn't yet started the subject and no-one had any idea if they would have any flair in the language.

5. Faldamir12

Faldamir12 New commenter

Nice to know I am not alone! =)

However seriously stuck in a dead end situation. I know I have done absolutely everything to help them....yet the majority of the predicted grades here are C. Looking at other subjects they are underperforming, however I know it will always come back to the teacher to explain what he/she has done to help them.